Severn, MD asked in Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: Can I get free legal assistance in selling my fathers inherited house.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kenesha A Raeford
Kenesha A Raeford

A: Possibly! It truly depends on your situation. There are plenty of free and low-cost legal resources around the Maryland area. I first suggest that you consider reaching out to Maryland Legal Aid. Additionally, the Maryland Court system has catalogued several free and low-cost legal services on their web page.

I used to work with a great organization called Civil Justice. Civil Justice is a free referral service that connects individuals with small and solo civil law firms that are willing to take clients on a reduced fee basis. I suggest you consider and review as many resources as possible. Maryland Legal Aid is a good place to start because if you are not eligible or they otherwise cannot take your case, they can usually re-direct you to somewhere that can.

Finally, the University of Maryland School of Law has a free Legal Clinic where you can receive "one-time" legal advising on just about any topic. The clinic pairs law students and current lawyers to assist you one time on an appointment or drop-in basis. There is a similar service called Lawyer in the library. These programs are for when you simply need a lawyer to review something and provide you with some general advice or guidance on how to move forward!

Here are all of the links:

Maryland Legal Aid

Maryland Free/Low-Cost Legal Services Directory

Civil Justice

University of Maryland Just Advice Clinic:

Lawyer in the Library:

Best of Luck to you.

Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you desire to handle the probate process by yourself without paying for an attorney to handle the full estate, you may find that a hour or so consultation with an experienced estate practitioner can help provide very helpful framework and tools. The average probate case in Maryland takes 9 months to 1 year to resolve and in some cases can take much longer than that. If the total equity in the house is less than $50,000 and there are no other assets, the estate may qualify as a "Small Estate" which involves considerably less effort than a Regular Estate.

While a skilled consultation will generally have some cost, it may be money well spent

Another attorney posted links to some resources to explore. Please note, however, that generally speaking free legal help is more readily available to low-income individuals facing a dire legal need (such as eviction, debt collection, etc.).

While not legal advice, I hope this general information helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.