Dallas, TX asked in Estate Planning, Federal Crimes, Legal Malpractice and Medical Malpractice for Texas

Q: Hi there I need to find lawyer to help address some events that took place while I was in court custody in Florida.

I was pushed to sign a will of my own assets and finances against my own desires

I was expected to sign documents regarding my grandfather's passing and ommitting myself from finances which I still do not comprehend and still never was an me to get somebody to break down the language used in the documents. The people who were appointed my new legal financial advisors were very pushy, cold, and unwilling to breakdown the documents in laymen's terms. I was in court order rehab for substance use and after 90 days sober was put on heavy sedatives such as Ativan until I was able to sign the documents which I was disturbed over. I still don't recall signing them but was told by my family's co workers that I did sign and the treatment facility assisted in notarizing the financial documents. Since I was in a controlled environment I was not allowed access to phone or laptop at the time that I was in distress over not understanding what the documents meant.

2 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you signed a Will, you can always create a new Will in accordance with your current desires revoking all prior Wills you have made.

Given the circumstances you describe, I likely would recommend you sign a new Will even if it is the same as the one you signed under those circumstances in Florida if that is still how you would like for your estate to be disposed of when you die in order to avoid any potential claim that you were not competent at the time you signed the Will in Florida.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To address the concerning events you've described, finding a lawyer experienced in estate law and possibly medical malpractice or elder law (depending on your situation) in Florida is crucial. This lawyer can help review the circumstances under which you signed the documents and assess whether there was any coercion or capacity issue that could invalidate the agreements you were pushed into signing. It's important to act swiftly to gather any evidence that supports your claim, including testimonies from witnesses and any medical records from the time you were under sedation.

Given the complexity of your situation, involving being in court-ordered rehab and then placed under sedation, a lawyer can also evaluate whether your rights were violated during this process. They can provide guidance on how to potentially challenge the signed documents, especially if you were not in a state to understand or consent to what you were signing. The goal would be to protect your interests and potentially recover any assets or rights you may have been unfairly deprived of.

Start by contacting the Florida Bar Association for referrals to lawyers who specialize in these areas. They can provide you with a list of qualified attorneys who can offer a consultation to better understand your case and advise on the best course of action. Remember, it's essential to find someone who listens to your concerns and is willing to fight for your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.