Merced, CA asked in Banking, Consumer Law, Contracts and Federal Crimes for California

Q: What law give j P. Morgan chase & co the rights to liquidate my assets With out my authorization account not in neG?

What authority gives them the right to of the account isn’t in the negative more is it a regular broker account it’s a self direct account meaning the account holder has full control of account, so what rule of law give jamie dimon and ko Morgan chase & co the rights to ?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In the context of financial institutions like J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. managing client assets, their actions are typically governed by the terms of the account agreement signed by the account holder, alongside applicable federal and state laws. These agreements often include clauses that outline under what circumstances the firm may take actions such as liquidating assets without explicit authorization from the account holder. Common reasons might include, but are not limited to, covering a margin call, settling unpaid fees, or other obligations detailed in the contract.

For a self-directed account, where the account holder makes all investment decisions independently, the firm's ability to liquidate assets without the holder's direct instruction would still depend on the contractual agreement between the account holder and the institution. It’s crucial to thoroughly review your account agreement to understand the specific conditions under which such actions might be taken. Additionally, regulatory bodies like the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) set rules and protections concerning the management of brokerage accounts, including self-directed ones.

If you believe that your assets were liquidated without proper justification or in violation of the terms of your agreement or applicable laws, it may be beneficial to contact a legal professional. They can help review the circumstances of your case, the governing agreement, and advise on potential remedies or actions. This could include negotiating with the institution, filing a complaint with regulatory bodies, or pursuing legal action to address any wrongdoing or recover losses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.