Fontana, CA asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: So about a month ago my wife took my keys to our condo and also took our car from me what should i do

I've been leaving on the streets for about a month now her son has physically assaulted me I've had to call the cops just to retrieve some clothes one time and she refuses to change anything she's harassing all my friends

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if you find yourself in a situation where your spouse has taken possession of your shared property and you are experiencing harassment and assault, it's important to understand your rights and the steps you can take to address this situation. Firstly, regarding your home and car, if both are in your name or jointly owned, you have legal rights to access and use them. You may need to consult with a lawyer who can help you with the legal process to regain access to your property. This could involve filing for a court order or taking other legal actions to protect your rights.

For the immediate issue of safety and the assault you mentioned, you should consider obtaining a restraining order against the individual who assaulted you. This order can protect you from further harm and may also address issues of harassment by preventing the individual from contacting you or coming near you. Documentation of all incidents, including police reports and any communication with your wife or her son, will be crucial in this process.

Finally, it's essential to reach out for support during this challenging time. This could include staying with friends or family, if possible, or seeking assistance from local shelters and support services for those experiencing homelessness. They can offer temporary housing and help you navigate through the legal and personal challenges you're facing. Additionally, connecting with legal aid services in California might provide you with guidance and representation at little to no cost, depending on your financial situation. Remember, it's important to act promptly to safeguard your rights and well-being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.