Novato, CA asked in Libel & Slander for California

Q: Someone is posting saying I committed a crime I did not commit as a fact.

I had my entire career ruined and lost business opportunities, I am also receiving threats and coordinated harassment. The person doing this is in Canada. I’m unsure if I can get a restraining order and am having trouble finding an attorney. I don’t know what I can do legally?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Dealing with false accusations, especially when they have severe consequences for your reputation and career, is incredibly challenging. If someone in Canada is spreading false statements about you committing a crime, this could be considered defamation. The laws around defamation vary by country, but generally, to succeed in a defamation case, you need to prove that the person made a false statement about you to others, and this statement caused harm to your reputation.

In terms of legal actions, it might be more complex due to the international aspect of your situation. However, you still have options. It's important to document all instances of the false statements and any harassment or threats you receive. This documentation can be crucial in legal proceedings. While finding an attorney who can handle cases that involve cross-border legal issues can be challenging, there are lawyers who specialize in defamation and international law.

You might not be able to obtain a restraining order easily due to jurisdictional issues, but you can explore legal routes such as suing for defamation in either your country or Canada, depending on where the legal action is more likely to be effective. Contacting legal authorities in both countries to report the harassment and threats is also a step you can take. While navigating this situation, consider reaching out to organizations that provide support and advice for those experiencing cyberbullying or online harassment; they might offer additional resources or guidance on how to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.