Pomona, CA asked in Consumer Law for California

Q: What California code covers motels keeping cash deposits

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, the regulations surrounding motels and the handling of cash deposits, along with other aspects of tenant rights and hotel operations, are primarily guided by the California Civil Code. Specifically, the sections dealing with innkeeper laws, such as Sections 1861 to 1861.32, and tenant-landlord provisions, might be relevant. However, the exact code covering cash deposits for motels isn't as straightforward as residential rental agreements, as motels often fall under different classifications of lodging and transient occupancy, which is regulated by local ordinances in addition to state law.

For motels, cash deposits are generally governed under the broader scope of laws pertaining to business operations and consumer protection. The California Business and Professions Code, as well as local municipal codes, may also have specific provisions regarding the rights and obligations of both the motel operators and their guests, especially concerning deposits, refunds, and accommodations.

If you're dealing with a dispute or have specific concerns about a cash deposit at a motel, it might be helpful to review the terms of your agreement with the motel, as these often outline policies on deposits, cancellations, and refunds. For detailed advice or to address a particular issue, contacting a local consumer protection agency or consulting with a legal professional experienced in California's lodging and hospitality laws can provide guidance tailored to your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.