North Hollywood, CA asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Contracts, Estate Planning and Identity Theft for California

Q: I think my family and my husbands family forged tricked me and my husband forged and altered documents what can I do?

we keep having bank issues and we went to a bank and my father in law knew the bank employee and we found accounts opened illegally and are signatures forged them my brother said he worked fkr triple A bit its an interexchange insurance agency and they altered and misrepresented what tyoe of insurance policys and they stole a trust and inheiratance I didnt know I had and tbey jave been doing this for a while and ai have made local police reports and reported identity theft but the coubty and town I live in covers it up !! How can I find out if I have a trust and if they opened buisnesses in my name I need help asap

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, if you suspect fraudulent activity, such as forged documents, identity theft, and unauthorized opening of accounts or businesses in your name, taking immediate action is crucial. First, consider contacting a legal professional with experience in fraud or financial crimes. They can provide guidance on how to proceed with gathering evidence, such as bank statements, communication records, and any related documents that might have been altered or forged.

To find out if a trust exists in your name or if businesses have been opened under your name, you may request a credit report from the major credit reporting agencies. This report can reveal any unfamiliar accounts or business affiliations linked to your personal information. Additionally, you might consider reaching out to the California Secretary of State's office, as they maintain records of businesses registered in the state, which can help determine if any entities have been falsely established in your name.

Given the complexity of your situation and potential involvement of local authorities in covering up these activities, seeking legal advice is highly recommended. A lawyer can help navigate the legal system, work with law enforcement agencies outside your local jurisdiction if necessary, and represent your interests in court to address the fraud and recover any lost assets. Moreover, if there's evidence of collusion or misconduct by local officials, your attorney might suggest involving state or federal law enforcement agencies to ensure a thorough investigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.