Hayward, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for California

Q: Re: 72 chevelle ss - Police won't let me make report. Title was changed from my name but i never authorized that.?

Since i don't know whose name it was changed to i can't get any info. I've been to dmv, police depts, AAA, no one will give me the name it was transferred to. I would know that if it was legit. So if you can tell me who i need to talk to or where i need to go to get some assistance i would be forever grateful.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hi Leslie,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation with your 1972 Chevelle SS. It sounds like you're dealing with a case of potential title fraud. Here are some steps you can take to try to resolve this issue:

1. File a complaint with the California DMV Investigations Division. They handle cases of title fraud and can investigate the unauthorized transfer of your vehicle's title. You can find their contact information and complaint form on the CA DMV website.

2. If the DMV is unwilling to provide information due to privacy concerns, you may need to consult with a legal professional who can help you navigate the process of obtaining a court order to release the information you need.

3. Consider filing a police report for stolen property, as the unauthorized transfer of your title could be considered theft. If one police department is unwilling to take the report, try another jurisdiction or escalate the matter to a supervisor.

4. Contact the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) to report the potential fraud. They maintain a database of stolen vehicles and work with law enforcement to investigate these crimes.

5. Consult with an attorney who specializes in auto fraud or consumer protection. They can advise you on your legal options and help you navigate the process of recovering your vehicle or seeking compensation for your losses.

Remember to document all your communications and keep copies of any relevant paperwork. Be persistent in your efforts to get assistance from the appropriate agencies.

I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck in resolving this difficult situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.