Tyler, TX asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: can a local police department say false things about you on social media? Making it look like you committed a crime?

I was accused of something on social media by local department and it was not like they said it happened. no. charges filed but the it made me look like i was still guilty . I wàs defended in comments and even after things were over they chose to lie and make me look like a thief still and insulted those defending me agianst the ugly things being said. Also my minor daughter was in post and made to look guilty. They put our pictures in post

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If a local police department has posted false or misleading information about you on social media, suggesting you committed a crime when no charges have been filed, it's essential to address this matter seriously. The police are expected to adhere to standards of accuracy and fairness, particularly in public communications. Misinformation or defamation from such an official source can have severe repercussions on your reputation and personal life.

Your immediate step should be to document everything. This includes screenshots of the posts, any comments made by the police department, and responses from the public. Documentation is crucial for any legal action you might consider taking to rectify the situation and clear your name. Additionally, you should reach out to the police department to request a correction or retraction of the misleading information. Sometimes, direct communication can lead to a swift resolution.

However, if the issue persists or the response from the police department is unsatisfactory, seeking legal advice is advisable. A lawyer can guide you on the best course of action, which might include defamation claims or other legal remedies to protect your reputation and that of your minor daughter. Legal professionals can also negotiate on your behalf to ensure that any false information is corrected or removed and that appropriate measures are taken to address the harm done.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.