Henrico, VA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Virginia

Q: My husband lives in Philadelphia and served with divorce papers. I live in Virginia. He is retired military! I want ever

I want everything that is available to me. Do I have to get an attorney from Philadelphia

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jordan A. Fanney
Jordan A. Fanney pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I do not have enough information to give a good answer to this question. I would need to know where the divorce was filed. Was it filed in Virginia or Pennsylvania? If it was filed in Virginia, then hire a Virginia lawyer. If it was filed in Pennsylvania then hire a Pennsylvania lawyer. If the divorce was improperly filed in the wrong state then the case may ultimately proceed in a different state; however, you should initially consult with an attorney that is licensed to practice in the state where the divorce was filed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.