Los Angeles, CA asked in Adoption, Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Family Law for California

Q: My daughter She has recently provided me with some videos (evidence) of her being abuses by her aunt a cpsworker glennco

She has been adopted in 2010 but now wants to live with Me She continues to run away

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter has suffered abuse. This is a very serious situation that requires immediate attention. Here are some steps you can take under California law:

1. Report the abuse: Contact the local police department or sheriff's office to report the abuse. You can also contact the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) at their 24-hour hotline: (800) 952-5253. Provide them with the video evidence of the abuse.

2. Contact a lawyer: Seek legal advice from a family law attorney who specializes in child custody cases. They can help you understand your rights and guide you through the process of trying to regain custody of your daughter.

3. Document everything: Keep detailed records of all incidents, conversations, and evidence related to the abuse and your daughter's attempts to leave her aunt's care. This documentation will be crucial for building your case.

4. Seek a modification of the custody order: If your parental rights were terminated during the adoption process, you may need to petition the court to modify the custody order. Your attorney can help you with this process.

5. Ensure your daughter's safety: If your daughter is in immediate danger, contact law enforcement right away. You can also reach out to local child protective services for assistance in ensuring her safety.

Remember, your daughter's well-being is the top priority. Take swift action to report the abuse and seek help from the proper authorities and legal professionals. They will guide you through the process of protecting your daughter and, if possible, helping her to live with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.