Rockford, IL asked in Divorce, Child Support and Family Law for Illinois

Q: My lawyer did not show up in court a month ago like she said she would and I have been emailing and calling & no reply?

Court has been a 3 yr episode with my ex wanting private school fees along with my request to modify support due to being permanently laid off from my job. Does she have to send me something if she’s dropping me as a client?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Normally, if a lawyer is dropping a client, usually for non payment of fees, a lawyer files a Motion to Withdraw, sends you a certified notice of the court date and you can show up to object or agree to her withdrawing. I suggest you get your papers together and go see another lawyer. If something unusual is going in with the lawyer, like a stroke, heart attack, suspension, the other lawyers in the town usually know. Whatever is happening, obviously she is not helping you right now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.