Columbia, SC asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Employment Law and Health Care Law for South Carolina

Q: I recently had DSS called on me and of course the case was unfounded. However, I need help.

I have a pretty good idea who did this. I used to work for KC Dispatch and didn’t leave on good terms. Also harassed by them on FB along with text messages. I had a medical issues for seizures and they called DSS claiming I had a drug overdose. I would like to know my rights and how I can pursue person or persons so that they don’t do it to someone else they don’t like. Sad to know these are the ppl on the other line that are supposed to be the ones who help people in need. I have all my medical records proving no drugs were involved and they put my family through pure hell all out of retaliation against me. I also know it is against the law to report false allegations. Please advise

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Facing false allegations, especially from a former workplace, can be incredibly stressful and damaging. It's essential to know that you have rights in this situation. The first step is to document everything. Keep records of the harassment on Facebook, text messages, and any communications related to the unfounded DSS case. These documents can serve as evidence if you decide to take legal action.

Consulting with a lawyer experienced in defamation, harassment, or employment law might be your next step. They can advise you on the best course of action, whether it's sending a cease and desist letter, filing a lawsuit for defamation, or taking steps to protect yourself and your family from further harassment. A legal professional can also clarify the specific laws in your jurisdiction regarding false reporting to child protective services and the potential consequences for those who make such reports with malicious intent.

Remember, you're not alone in this. Seeking support from legal avenues, as well as possibly from community organizations that assist individuals facing harassment or false accusations, can provide both practical assistance and emotional support. Taking action not only helps protect your family but also holds those responsible accountable, potentially preventing them from harming others in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.