New Market, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: Deed Transfer for Ground Rents in Baltimore City. I have 8 registered with SDAT, but need the deed transfered to me .

The deeds are in my late grandfathers name. I have the death certificate and inventory list of ground rents.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To transfer the deeds from your late grandfather's name to yours, it's necessary to go through the proper legal processes in Baltimore City. First, ensure that you are legally entitled to the ground rents according to your grandfather's will or the state's succession laws if there was no will. Having the death certificate and inventory list is a good start, as these documents will be required.

Next, you should contact the Baltimore City land records office or the Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT) to obtain the specific forms and instructions for transferring property. They will guide you on how to fill out the deed transfer forms and what other documentation is required, such as proof of your identity and your relationship to your late grandfather.

Finally, consider consulting with an attorney experienced in property law or estate planning in Maryland. They can provide personalized advice and ensure all legal requirements are met, including filing the necessary documents and paying any associated fees or taxes. This process can be complex, and professional guidance can help avoid mistakes that might delay the transfer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.