Shepherdsville, KY asked in Consumer Law, Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Kentucky

Q: Vehicle was deemed a total loss, but I want to buy back the vehicle. I still owe on the loan.

The total settlement number they gave me would be more than I owe, but the salvage price to keep the vehicle would make the new amount less. I understand that would leave me with the remaining loan balance. Adjuster told me that they won’t release any funds until the loan is paid in full. I was expecting to use those funds to pay the biggest part of the loan and I would pay the rest. Why are they insisting the loan be paid off if I’m keeping the vehicle? They would’ve technically already been paid for the vehicle. I’m just confused and they couldn’t explain it better when I called.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Kentucky attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. You'll probably need to go through the figures with them in more detail than is possible here. But the basic principle is that keeping the vehicle will reduce the payment. If a vehicle is old and low value, it doesn't make too much difference. With later model vehicles, the salvage value could be a more significant offset from the PD payment. If the carrier can't clarify the reconciliation of figures to your satisfaction, one option could be to review the file with a Kentucky accident attorney well versed in PD claims, in particular, those with leased or financed vehicles. Those PD claims can be more complex. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.