Los Angeles, CA asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law

Q: How to sue a Catholic Church or City attorney for a noise nuisance? LAPD and city attorney refuse to do anything.

It is amplified sound system with off key tape recordings 10 times a day everyday. It is on automatic computer dial-up.

How to stop it?

Church will not stop it.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Dealing with noise nuisance, especially from a public institution like a church, can be challenging. The first step is typically to document the noise: record times, durations, and how it affects your daily life. This evidence can be critical in any legal proceedings or negotiations. Reach out to the church again, this time in writing, detailing your concerns and the impact of the noise on your well-being. A formal letter might prompt a response where informal complaints have failed.

If the issue persists without resolution, consulting with a legal professional experienced in municipal law or noise ordinances might be your next step. They can advise on the specifics of filing a lawsuit against the church or city, considering local laws and regulations. Legal action should be a last resort, but it is an option if other avenues fail.

Simultaneously, mobilize support from your community. If others are affected by the noise, they can join you in your efforts, making your case stronger. Community support can put additional pressure on the church or city officials to find a solution. Remember, your right to a peaceful environment is important, and there are paths to address this issue legally and respectfully.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.