Winter Park, FL asked in Consumer Law and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: Navient student loan server/ lender consolidated all my loans including one from 1987.. then in 2022 all loans were

Discharged except for the one from 1987 they took it out of consolidation and I believe I was in deferment when they did this in 6/2016.. and sent old loan to trellis student loan collector..Without ! My notice .. trellis then garnished my wages without I received no paperwork about it ..can I dispute this ? Ty

2 Lawyer Answers
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If they garnished your wages, it would appear that they got a judgment against you. Look into how they did that without notice (of the lawsuit or also of the garnishment) to you.

Angelo "Tony" Marino Jr. agrees with this answer

Angelo "Tony" Marino Jr.
Angelo "Tony" Marino Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Ft Myers, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: As previously stated, to garnish your bank accounts, a judgment had to be entered against you. Go to the website of the clerk of court of the county where you reside and type in your name. You should see a case with your name. Go to see if there is a return of service and see who was served with the complaint. If it was you or someone over the age of 15 who resided at your home, you were properly served. If you were not served or you do not know the person who was served (check the address also), then I suggest you contract a lawyer to attempt to set aside the judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.