Detroit, MI asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Michigan

Q: My family home has been left to me. How do I get my name on the deed? The deed is clear. What do I do now?

Family who lived there is dead. I'm paying the back taxes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: That depends on how it was 'left' to you.

By a ladybird deed? Record the appropriate death certificate(s) and property transfer affidavits with the appropriate agencies.

By Will? Probate the estate and the PR can transfer by deed.

Some other way? Some other procedure probably.

You need to take your question to a qualified licensed local attorney to review all the facts and provide specific advice of what to do next.

That said, paying any back taxes ASAP is a good first step no matter what, so you're on the right track, but there will be details that shouldn't necessarily be shared in a public forum like this that will impact the next steps. Seek that local legal representation!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.