Summerville, SC asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Juvenile Law and Family Law for Florida

Q: Is there any Florida case law, that states when a court suspends a parent’s timesharing?

Is there any Florida case law, that states when a court suspends a parent’s timesharing that, they are not held to this statue and are not required to pay 100% child support to the other parent. This parent cannot exercise their timesharing because the courts suspended it, it's not that the parent is unwilling to exercise there timesharing, they legally are not allowed.

Florida 61.30 11 (c) Child support guidelines; retroactive child support

(c) A parent’s failure to regularly exercise the time-sharing schedule set forth in the parenting plan, a court-ordered time-sharing schedule, or a time-sharing arrangement exercised by agreement of the parties not caused by the other parent which resulted in the adjustment of the amount of child support pursuant to subparagraph

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The short answer is NO. Although child support and timesharing are interrelated, a suspension of timesharing does not suspend a child support obligation. The financial obligation is ongoing pursuant to the court order unless and until it is changed. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.