Adelanto, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: My lawyer filed a jv180 but did not put 2 of the papers that I gave her when she filed it. She had stated to me that I d

If I didn't have all of the requirements complete of my unification plan that there would be no reason to even file it. Because it would get denied. She didn't include my sponsorship letter and my name meetings attendance sheets. So my jv180 is denied and my parental rights have been terminated. Next date is the proceed with the adoption.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, when your JV-180 request to change a court order in juvenile dependency proceedings is denied, and your parental rights are subsequently terminated, it's essential to understand your next steps. The JV-180 form, or Request to Change Court Order, is a crucial document in juvenile dependency cases, where the goal is often to reunify families whenever possible, under safe conditions for the child.

If crucial documents such as a sponsorship letter and attendance sheets for meetings were not included in your submission, it could impact the outcome, as you've experienced. It's important to communicate clearly with your legal representative about the necessity of including all pertinent information and documents in any filing. The omission of these documents might have contributed to the denial of your request.

After parental rights are terminated, and the court is moving towards adoption, you may want to consider your options for appeal or any other legal remedies available. Given the complexities of dependency court proceedings, seeking advice from a legal professional experienced in family law and dependency cases could provide clarity on possible actions to take next. Time is of the essence in these situations, so promptly exploring your legal options is crucial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.