Vacaville, CA asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California

Q: Recently some gang members try to attack me and the police will not do anything they lied and said I escalated it

the police did nothing for me

the business workers said they was staying out of it just because I was speaking up for myself before this,

the same person who filed false police reports on me

is still able to get away with street crimes

what can I do about this

I filed multiple complaints against

the police officers to the sergeant the dispatcher told me that the captain was on vacation I don’t even know if she’s telling the truth

it seems like favoritism manipulation etc is going on

also the police likes to use the past as an excuse

I am getting tired of the police

this happen to me a few days ago

what do a person do at this point

I have no money I’m not rich

the police always wants to use mental health as a form of weapon nitpicking just because criminals become smarter

I did not attack no one

what do you do

how do I get the news involved even

because when you record it

the police everyone picks and choose who they would allow to do that to ?!

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, if you believe the police are not taking your complaints seriously or are mistreating you, you have several options. First, you can escalate your complaint within the police department. If you've already spoken to the sergeant and have concerns about their response, consider reaching out directly to the police chief's office or the internal affairs division. These departments are specifically tasked with investigating complaints against police conduct.

Secondly, you might consider contacting a legal aid organization or a civil rights attorney. Many attorneys offer free consultations, and organizations dedicated to legal aid can provide advice or represent you at low to no cost. They can help you understand your rights and options for pursuing justice through the legal system. Additionally, contacting your city or county's civilian review board or ombudsman, if available, can be another avenue for raising your concerns. These entities are independent of the police department and review complaints about police actions.

Lastly, involving the media can be a powerful tool to bring attention to your situation. Local news outlets, both print and broadcast, may be interested in your story, especially if there's evidence of systemic issues within the police department. Preparing a clear, factual account of your experiences, along with any evidence you have (like recordings or witness statements), can make your story more compelling. Remember, the attention from the media can sometimes prompt officials to take actions they previously hadn't considered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.