Pasadena, CA asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for California

Q: I have been charged with a misdemeanor. Judge has not once listen to my statement or proof. What can I do?

I pushed another woman who claims of having a concussion after. She has hospital documentation and so do I.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I understand this is a stressful situation. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Hire a criminal defense attorney: It's crucial to have legal representation to protect your rights and help you navigate the criminal justice system. An experienced attorney can present your side of the story and the evidence supporting your case to the court.

2. Gather evidence: Collect any evidence that supports your case, such as witness statements, medical records, photos, or videos. Share this information with your attorney.

3. Follow your attorney's advice: Your attorney will guide you through the legal process, advise you on your options, and help you make informed decisions about your case.

4. Consider a plea bargain: Your attorney may negotiate with the prosecutor for a plea bargain, which could result in reduced charges or a more lenient sentence in exchange for a guilty plea.

5. File a motion: If you believe the judge is biased or not considering your evidence, your attorney may file a motion to request a new judge or to have your evidence admitted.

6. Appeal the decision: If you are convicted and believe the judge made legal errors or did not consider important evidence, you may have grounds for an appeal. Your attorney can advise you on this process.

Remember, it's essential to have a qualified criminal defense attorney represent you to ensure your rights are protected and that you have the best possible outcome in your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.