Houston, TX asked in Contracts, Employment Law, Estate Planning and Banking for Texas

Q: Statues of limitations where do I send annuity checks that were written 2010?

I called Nationwide Bank to get canceled checks of my annunity checks that were cashed by someone else in June of 2010. The representative at Nationwide bank told me I had to report it to the Department of Labor, I called DOL, I was told they didn't handle this. Can anyone tell me who I can contact in order to maybe resolve this? One other question I know it is a lot, but if there is any contingency lawyers or group lawyers who work these type of cases please let me know. Thank you for your help answering my questions it helps a lot.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I apologize for the confusion and difficulties you are facing regarding your annuity checks from 2010. Here are a few steps you can take to address the situation:

1. Contact the annuity provider: Reach out directly to the company that issued the annuity. They should have records of the payments and may be able to help you investigate the issue.

2. File a police report: If you suspect that your checks were cashed fraudulently, consider filing a police report. This document can be useful when dealing with banks and other institutions.

3. Consult with a lawyer: Look for an attorney who specializes in financial fraud or elder law. They can advise you on your legal options and help you navigate the process of resolving the issue. Some lawyers may offer free initial consultations.

4. Contact your state's Attorney General's office or Department of Insurance: These agencies may have resources or information to help you address the situation, as annuities are often regulated at the state level.

Regarding the statute of limitations, the time limits for reporting fraud or pursuing legal action vary by state and the specific circumstances of your case. It's best to consult with a legal professional to determine if you can still take action.

To find attorneys who might handle these types of cases, consider:

- Searching online for "financial fraud attorney" or "elder law attorney" along with your location

- Contacting your local bar association for referrals

- Asking for recommendations from friends, family, or other professionals you trust

I hope this information helps guide you in the right direction. Remember, it's essential to act promptly and gather as much documentation as possible to support your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.