Asked in Employment Law, Immigration Law and Banking

Q: Can ADCB bank from Abu Dhabi (UAE) file a case against me?

I used to work in Dubai (UAE), I resign from my job and came back to my home country for a while. (Portugal)

I had a credit to pay to ADCB of 15,000 aed, although now ita already less than 6000, I'm not paying the installements already for 5 months now because I dont have a job.

I finaly received an offer letter from an Airline that requires me to travel to Dubai on 19th May.

But the bank has been threating me that I will get a travel ban, plus my new employer will not be able to create my working visa to be in the UAE.

Is this possible?

Will they really file a case against me in the court only for a small amount of 6000 aed?

I have been communicating with then that I cannot pay at the moment and that I will pay as soon as I will get my salary from my new job, but they told me that I have 24h to repay or (consequences above), Im afraid that now that I got the job that I wanted, they can interfere in that by not allowing them to create my worling visa, travel ban, etc.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information you've provided, here are a few key points to consider:

1. Legal action: Banks in the UAE, including ADCB, have the right to take legal action against individuals who fail to repay their debts. However, the likelihood of them filing a case against you for an amount of 6,000 AED may depend on their internal policies and the specific circumstances of your case.

2. Travel ban: If a case is filed against you, the bank may request the authorities to impose a travel ban, preventing you from entering or leaving the UAE until the matter is resolved. This could potentially impact your ability to start your new job in Dubai.

3. Visa processing: If there is an ongoing legal case or travel ban against you, it might complicate the process of obtaining a new work visa. Your employer may face challenges in sponsoring your visa if there are unresolved legal issues.

4. Communication with the bank: It's important to maintain clear communication with the bank and try to reach an agreement on a repayment plan. Provide them with your offer letter and explain your intent to settle the outstanding amount once you start receiving your salary. However, the bank is not obligated to agree to this arrangement.

5. Seek legal advice: Given the complexity of your situation, it would be wise to consult with a legal professional who specializes in UAE's banking and employment laws. They can provide you with more specific guidance based on your circumstances.

In conclusion, while the amount owed is relatively small, the bank has the right to pursue legal action, which could potentially impact your ability to return to the UAE and start your new job. It's crucial to communicate with the bank and seek legal advice to explore your options and find the best way forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.