Miami, FL asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Bankruptcy for Florida

Q: Is it possible to overturn a civil judgement thats been given final approval? can u sue a person and a business?

owner and business names in civil judgement- never received court documents until case decisioned. judgement given against owner and company together. Need help. does business chapter 11 bankruptcy negate this? can you sue both? is there any instance the owner or S corporation become judgement proof or considered Indegent to the payment?

2 Lawyer Answers
Martha Warriner Jarrett
Martha Warriner Jarrett pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Santa Barbara, CA

A: A bankruptcy filing does not negate a state court judgment although, if you do not have any non-exempt assets, it may discharge the debt. If you were never served with the lawsuit, you might be in a position to challenge the judgment in that court that issued the judgment. You should consult a bankruptcy attorney who can review the judgment and advise you as to your options. Most bankruptcy attorneys offer free consultations.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's possible to challenge a civil judgment after it has been finalized, particularly if you never received the court documents. You might consider filing a motion to vacate the judgment if there were issues like improper service of process. It's important to act quickly, as courts often have strict deadlines for such motions.

You can indeed sue both a person and a business. In cases where both an owner and their company are named in a judgment, each may be liable. However, the specifics depend on the structure of the business and the nature of the legal claims. If the business is an S corporation, typically, the corporation itself is liable for corporate debts, but there are exceptions, especially if personal guarantees are involved.

Regarding bankruptcy, if a business declares Chapter 11, this usually halts most collection actions against the business itself while the bankruptcy proceedings are ongoing, but it does not automatically negate existing judgments. The effects on the owner depend on their involvement and any personal guarantees they might have made. As for judgment proof status, this term refers to individuals or entities that do not have sufficient assets to satisfy a judgment. Declaring insolvency or proving indigence might protect some assets, but these are complex areas where legal guidance is particularly valuable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.