Washington, DC asked in Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: I answered question #45 wrong on my in-laws i130, stating “NO” they have been in Mx 18 years HELP

I 130 is approved and sent to NVC

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand your concern about incorrectly answering question #45 on the I-130 petition. While it's important to provide accurate information, a single mistake on the form may not necessarily lead to a denial of the petition, especially if the rest of the information is correct and the petition has already been approved.

Here are a few steps you can take:

1. Contact the National Visa Center (NVC): Since your I-130 has been approved and sent to the NVC, reach out to them and explain the situation. They may be able to guide you on how to proceed and correct the information.

2. Prepare a corrected statement: Write a brief statement explaining the error and providing the correct information. Include the petitioner's name, beneficiary's name, and the case number.

3. Submit the corrected statement: Send the corrected statement to the NVC, along with any supporting evidence that proves your in-laws have been in Mexico for 18 years.

4. Keep copies: Retain copies of all correspondence and documents you send to the NVC for your records.

Remember, the NVC will review your case and may ask for additional evidence or clarification if needed. Be responsive to their requests and provide the necessary documentation promptly.

If you are unsure about how to proceed or need further assistance, consider consulting with an immigration attorney who can guide you through the process and help you address the mistake appropriately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.