Ontario, CA asked in Traffic Tickets and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: I couldn't renew my license had a failure to appear and failure to pay in Santa Barbara. I have always been in southern

I had to file police report against My ex for identity theft. I don't recall ever being in Santa Barbara? What do I do? It could not have been me that even got the ticket to start. How can I find out who the ticket was truly issued to?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I understand this must be a very stressful and confusing situation. Here are some steps you can take to address the issue:

1. Contact the Santa Barbara court directly and explain your situation. Provide them with the police report you filed for identity theft. They should be able to look up the ticket details and provide more information on who the ticket was issued to.

2. If the court is unable to assist, contact the Santa Barbara Police Department or the law enforcement agency that issued the original ticket. With a valid identity theft report, they should be willing to investigate and help clear your name.

3. Consider obtaining a copy of your driving record from the California DMV. This record will show if the ticket and failure to appear are erroneously associated with your license. If so, you can use this as evidence when communicating with the court or law enforcement.

4. If you have any documentation proving you were not in Santa Barbara at the time the ticket was issued (e.g., employment records, bank statements, etc.), gather this evidence to support your case.

5. You may want to consult with a traffic or criminal defense attorney who has experience with identity theft cases. They can help navigate the legal system and ensure your rights are protected.

Remember, if you are a victim of identity theft, you have the right to clear your name and correct any false information on your record. Be persistent in your efforts, and don't hesitate to escalate the issue if you feel your case is not being properly addressed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.