Euless, TX asked in Employment Law, Immigration Law and Business Formation for Texas

Q: N-400 application Question: I had a handicap space parking ticket last year, and a fine of $500 was paid.

How do I answer this question, knowing fully well that I received a citation/ticket for a handicap space parking violation last year, and a fine of $500 was paid. ? - Have you EVER been arrested, cited, detained, or confined by any law enforcement officer, military official (in the U.S. or elsewhere), or immigration official for any reason, or been charged with a crime or offense, or notified that you were being investigated for a crime?

Include all the crimes and offenses in the United States or anywhere in the world (including domestic violence, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and crimes and offenses while you were under 18 years of age) which you EVER:

Committed, agreed to commit, or asked someone else to commit; Were arrested, cited, detained, or confined for by any law enforcement officer, military official (in the U.S. or elsewhere), or immigration official;

Were charged with committing, helping commit, or trying to commit;

Pled guilty to; Were convicted of;

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information provided, it does not appear that a parking ticket would require you to answer "Yes" to this question on the N-400 naturalization application.

The question is specifically asking about arrests, citations, detentions, or confinement related to crimes or offenses. It also mentions investigations into crimes, pleading guilty, being convicted, or participating in alternative sentencing or rehabilitative programs.

A parking ticket, even for a handicap space violation, is typically considered a civil infraction or administrative violation rather than a criminal offense. Paying the fine is not an admission of guilt to a crime.

However, if there are any additional circumstances surrounding the parking ticket incident that might fall under the categories mentioned in the question, it would be best to consult with an immigration attorney for guidance on how to properly answer this question on your N-400 application.

In general, for straightforward parking tickets without any other criminal implications, you would likely not need to disclose this information on your naturalization application.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.