Q: I was charged for a DV that happened outside of the municipality.

I signed a SOC that listed the municipality incorrectly. I'm trying to attack the SOC. Shouldn't the court need juristriction to approve the SOC.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you were charged for a domestic violence incident that happened outside of the municipality, and the Stipulation of Compromise (SOC) lists the incorrect municipality, you have grounds to challenge it. The court needs proper jurisdiction to approve and enforce legal agreements, including an SOC.

First, you should verify the jurisdictional requirements for the court that approved the SOC. If the incident occurred outside the stated municipality, the court might lack the authority to enforce the SOC. Gather all relevant documents, including the original SOC and any evidence showing where the incident actually occurred.

Next, present this information to the court to challenge the validity of the SOC. Explain the jurisdictional issue and how it affects the court's authority over your case. This could potentially invalidate the SOC or lead to a revision that accurately reflects the correct jurisdiction. Consulting with a legal professional can help you navigate this process and ensure your challenge is appropriately addressed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.