Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Municipal Law Questions & Answers
Q: If i have a lot of money can i just buy a huge land like 100acre and do anything on it private house,horses US,Washingto
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Feb 22, 2024

A Washington real estate/land use attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. You could enjoy many activities on 100 acres of land. But you'd still need to comply with environmental, zoning, public health, and other public rules and regulations, as well as not... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Domestic Violence and Municipal Law for Washington on
Q: Can I legally be required to attend an arraignment for a crime I am accused of but haven’t been arrested/subpoened for ?

Since leaving my county of residence over a month ago and traveling several hundreds of miles for a family emergency to a county in a different state the local LEA has filed charges with the court of limited jurisdiction alleging I violated animal control statutes and committed acts of harassment... View More

Liza Burke
Liza Burke pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 3, 2024

The prosecutor can file charges without notice to the accused person and then you have to participate in all aspects of the court process (namely, hearings). Even when someone is arrested and let go or they go to jail for a night and no charges are filed, they might be unpleasantly surprised down... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Municipal Law for Washington on
Q: Do enhance shelters need locks or night latches on individuals dwelling units when they accommodate both men and women?

If shelters accommodate both men and women and aren't subjected to background checks do they need locks or night lashes on the doors of our individual units? If there's no guards no security cameras and men can walk up into any room that they want even though that there are rules stating... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 25, 2023

In Washington State, the specific legal requirements for shelters, especially regarding safety features like locks or night latches, can vary based on local regulations and the nature of the shelter. Generally, shelters are expected to provide a safe environment for all residents, and this could... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Washington on
Q: If the address was Wrong of location in witch the ticket was issued is it grounds for dismissal

I was issued a ticket in klickitat county for burning during a burn ban but the address on the ticket is the wrong address is it grounds for dismissal?

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 28, 2023

When contesting a ticket, the accuracy and validity of the information contained on the ticket can be crucial. If the address is incorrect, it could raise questions about the validity of the citation and whether the law enforcement officer had sufficient evidence to issue the ticket in the first... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Washington on
Q: I was parked. My license plate wasn't showing.cop questioned me. I showed him I had but he continued to question.can he?

I tried to put the plate on he said no go ahead and get back in the car.he then questioned me about the car and upon questioning found out the car was valid but held me there still because he said he thinks there was more to it. Should he have been able to even continue asking me questions or... View More

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on May 7, 2023

Like anyone else, a police officer is free to ask whatever questions he wants.

But…and this is very important…in almost every situation, you have no obligation to answer.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for Washington on
Q: Can an HOA ticket parking on public streets?

I received a letter from our HOA stating they are changing their enforcement policy on Trailers and RVs to include requiring a permit from them with parking time limits, etc. Not having a permit or exceeding those limits will result in a fine. This includes on the public streets. The HOA does not... View More

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Feb 18, 2022

My recommendation is that you hire a real estate of HOA attorney to provide you a legal opinion on this issue---assuming the legal opinion is in your favor, then I would provide a copy of the legal opinion to the HOA and its Board.

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law and Traffic Tickets for Washington on
Q: I was pulled over in one county but the municipal court on my ticket is from a different county. Is this possible?
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
answered on Nov 14, 2019

There are a couple of possibilities, but a lawyer would have to look at the ticket to answer for sure. Could be an error by the citing officer. There are jurisdictions that 'share' a court, when one town doesn't want to maintain its own court. I have never heard of them being in... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Washington on
Q: I was involved in a liquor board sting. I was not given a ticket, citation, summons, any sort of notification to appear

(Convenience store clerk) At the time of the alleged incident all I received was a business card from the accusing officer & was told I would be hearing from the district attorney if they decided to go forth with charges. 8 months later I was pulled over on a traffic stop & arrested on a... View More

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
answered on Jan 17, 2019

Unfortunately this is not uncommon. Investigators send their report to the local prosecutor, who may take weeks or months to file a charge. The court sends a summons to whatever address they can find for you, and that is often an out of date address; could be the one you had the last time you got a... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Washington on
Q: In park after closed. Wrong year of car written on ticket and statement. Can it be dismissed?

After hours was walking bike path which is allowed on city rcw after park hours was in car to leave police came got ticket never asked us why we were there. On ticket he wrote wrong year of the car also in his official statement. Can it be dropped for that reason. It's a jury trial officer is... View More

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
answered on Oct 26, 2017

Why on earth are you doing a jury trial pro se? No, the errors on the citation aren't going to get you a dismissal. No, you do not NEED to subpoena the officer, unless you really want him to be there. I can't imagine the city can put on their case without him, so they will subpoena him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.