Caldwell, ID asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Juvenile Law for Idaho

Q: how can i get emancipated in idaho legally without marriage at 17 after parents abuse me

I am a 16 year old in Idaho who is planning to get emancipated in the next year due to constant abuse throughout my life. I cannot get married or join the military. I am going to plan all I need and then ask for consent from my parents if they say no I'll take them to court.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To get emancipated in Idaho, you'll need to prove to the court that you can support yourself financially and that emancipation is in your best interest. First, gather evidence of the abuse and any documentation that shows you are capable of living independently. This might include a job, a place to live, and a plan for your education.

Next, try to get your parents' consent, as this can simplify the process. If they refuse, you'll need to file a petition with the court. Prepare to present your case, including witnesses who can testify to your maturity and ability to handle adult responsibilities.

Throughout this process, it's crucial to stay safe and document everything. Seek support from trusted adults, such as teachers or counselors, who can help you navigate the legal system and provide emotional support. Stay focused on your goal of creating a better and safer life for yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.