San Bernardino, CA asked in Consumer Law for California

Q: Could I sue a dealer when they told me to get the cheapest insurance for a used 2017 honda accord to get approved

They told me I coukd get the cheapest insurance and i could walk away with the vehicle and I paid the insurance and then I got a call from the dealership saying that oh no the finance company wants full coverage and i paid for it and then they told me that it was 1000 deductible and they never told me nothing about that and I already lost by paying 600 in changing policy just to change it again

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Based on the information you've provided, it seems that the dealer may have misled you regarding the insurance requirements for financing the 2017 Honda Accord. In California, you may have grounds for legal action against the dealership, depending on the specific circumstances and evidence available.

Here are a few points to consider:

1. Misrepresentation: If the dealer intentionally misled you about the insurance requirements, knowing that the finance company would require full coverage, they may be liable for misrepresentation.

2. Unfair business practices: California has strict consumer protection laws, such as the Unfair Competition Law (UCL) and the Consumer Legal Remedies Act (CLRA), which prohibit businesses from engaging in unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent practices.

3. Damages: You would need to prove that you suffered financial losses due to the dealer's misrepresentation, such as the additional costs incurred in changing your insurance policy multiple times.

To pursue legal action, you should:

1. Gather evidence: Collect any documents, emails, or text messages related to your communication with the dealership about the insurance requirements.

2. Consult with a lawyer: Seek advice from a consumer protection attorney or a lawyer specializing in auto dealer fraud to assess your case's merits and potential remedies.

3. File a complaint: You can file a complaint with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the California Attorney General's Office, which may investigate the dealership's practices.

Keep in mind that pursuing legal action can be time-consuming and costly. An attorney can help you evaluate your options and determine the best course of action based on your specific situation.

Delaram Keshvarian agrees with this answer

A: When you finance a motor vehicle purchase, most lenders require full coverage. I concur that, when purchasing a used vehicle that old (2017), getting a $1,000 deductible is a reasonable choice and will almost always result in the cheapest premium for the insurance.

Delaram Keshvarian
Delaram Keshvarian
  • Orange, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Probably you can sue them for damages if you have proof that they mislead you about the required type of coverage.

This is merely a discussion of general laws and not legal advice. For legal advice, more specific facts and investigations are needed. I recommend you consult with an attorney for more details.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.