North Hollywood, CA asked in Employment Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: Can a truant get issued a work permit.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, a truant student may face challenges in obtaining a work permit. Here's the relevant information:

1. Truancy definition: In California, a student is considered truant if they are absent from school without a valid excuse for three full days in one school year, or tardy or absent for more than a 30-minute period during the school day on three occasions in one school year.

2. Work permit requirements: To obtain a work permit in California, minors generally need to maintain satisfactory school attendance. Education Code Section 49130 states that a work permit shall not be issued to any minor who has been absent from school without a valid excuse more than three days or tardy in excess of 30 minutes on each of four or more days in the school year.

3. School's discretion: The school district issuing the work permit has the discretion to determine whether a student's attendance meets the requirements for obtaining a work permit. Some districts may have stricter policies regarding truancy and work permits.

4. Exceptions: In some cases, the school district may grant exceptions and issue a work permit to a truant student if there are extenuating circumstances, such as the need to work due to financial hardship or other compelling reasons.

In summary, while it may be challenging for a truant student to obtain a work permit in California, it is not entirely impossible. The decision ultimately lies with the school district and may depend on the specific circumstances of the student's situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.