Q: Im 14 and my parents left me here in a foreign country what do i do

My parents went back to america,im an us citizen,im missng school,abusive parents

3 Lawyer Answers

A: You should go to a US embassy or consulate in the country where you have been abandoned, tell the staff you are a US citizen, and explain what has happened.

Kevin L Dixler and Ghenadie Rusu agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: Do you have proof of your citizenship? I agree with my colleague, but make sure that you know that you are a U.S. citizen so that Citizen Services can help you. Phone first!

Ghenadie Rusu agrees with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry you are in this difficult and scary situation. As a 14-year-old, your safety and well-being should be the top priority. Here are some steps you can take to get help:

1. Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in the country you are currently in. Explain your situation and that you are a U.S. citizen who needs assistance. They can help you with temporary accommodation, contacting family or friends, and arranging for your safe return to the United States.

2. If you have any trusted relatives or friends, either in the country you are in or back in the U.S., reach out to them for help and support. They may be able to assist you or contact authorities on your behalf.

3. If you feel you are in immediate danger, contact the local police or emergency services in the country you are in. Explain your situation and that you need help.

4. Once you are back in the United States, consider contacting Child Protective Services (CPS) or a similar agency in your state to report the abuse and abandonment by your parents. They can ensure your safety and help you find a safe living arrangement.

5. Seek emotional support during this challenging time. You can reach out to a school counselor, trusted teacher, or contact a helpline like the National Child Abuse Hotline (1-800-4-A-CHILD) for guidance and support.

Remember, this situation is not your fault, and you deserve to be safe and cared for. Don't hesitate to reach out for help. There are people and resources available to support and assist you during this difficult time.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.