Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Immigration Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Alaska Immigration Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Alaska on
Q: Need help with International Student in Canada marrying US Citizen

My girlfriend and I have been discussing the options for when it comes time for us to get married. She is a student in Canada, on a student visa and I am a US Citizen. If we file for CR-1, she is able to use the Embassy in Canada for her exams and interview or does it have to be the one from Brazil... View More

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
answered on Aug 11, 2022

When you file the I 130 you can select the US consulate at which you would like her to process at. The CIS will do everything to accommodate your request, but ultimately it is their decision to make.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Alaska on
Q: I entered the US on VWP and have been overstated for 2 years. Is it possible to apply Green Card?

Also my sponsor(husband) is in military and we have a child.

Adan Vega
Adan Vega
answered on Jan 3, 2022

Your husband can file the FORM I-130/I-130A ( Relative Petition) with USCIS.

If he is a U.S. citizen then you can also file for adjustment of status by submitting the FORM I-485 in that you have lawfully entered the U.S. through the ESTA program.

An experienced immigration attorney...
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Alaska on
Q: Chance of successful Green Card application after prolonged visa lapse.

I entered the United States late 2008 on a visa waiver with intention of leaving (booked flight etc). Married US citizen and began AOS process to find out spouse's income did not meet required amount for sponsorship. I have no criminal record, I haven't traveled and haven't worked.... View More

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
answered on Oct 26, 2015

If the spouse's income was not enough you could have found a co sponsor who would have been willing to sponsor you. This is very common so contact an immigration attorney as soon as possible to help you with this. All the best.

Shan D Potts,

(323)-803 7147

15 years of...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Alaska on
Q: My wife is an US Citizen and a business owner. She wants a friend, a Korean national, to come and work for her business.

What visa would cover this situation? Would this require a immigration laywer to complete the application process.

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
answered on Sep 14, 2015

It is possible however nobody can tell you what visa without knowing the details of her job and her intended length of stay. And yes, it is best and easy if done by an experienced immigration attorney. All the best.

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is...
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.