Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
International Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Divorce and International Law for Washington on
Q: Divorce in Japan but what about the house in Washington State?

Heading toward a divorce in Japan. My wife is a Japanese National & I'm a dual-citizen. We currently live here in Tokyo but own a property in Bellevue, Washington (currently being rented out). If we get a divorce in Japan, what is the process of splitting the property? Also, does... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Divorce, Family Law and International Law for Wisconsin on
Q: Hauge convention act. Is there any lawyers in Wisconsin that has experience handling this kind of case

I’m in Thailand. I’m trying to recover my children from USA the mother abducted them June 2021 I’ve been trying in the local courts in Thailand no luck I’ve been in contact for the last seven months with the US government for the hauge Convention act. Also the mother has been hiding the... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on May 12, 2022

The Hague Convention is useful in most situations, but you need a lawyer where the children are to file the appropriate action in the local court to determine.

But first, do you have a professional/lawyer in Thailand that is assisting you. If you don't, that you explain why things...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law, Adoption and International Law on
Q: I was raised in Brazil with my step-brother(different mother's). We want to know how my mother could adopt him so he can

I was raised in Brazil with my step-brother(different mother's). We want to know how my mother could adopt him so he can obtain Mexican nationality.

My brother is 24 years old and my parents are married for more than 20 years.

My mom is Mexican and my dad is Brazilian.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Federal Crimes and International Law on
Q: Can I get my first passport and go on holiday if there is a warrant out for my arrest?

I got in trouble a couple of years ago and got done for ABH. (gave a man a small scratch, and made his arm bleed; in self defence. However no one was interested in my side.

I was sentenced to community service but never turned up - stupid, yes I know.

This was about a year ago and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for New York on
Q: Hello, I am currently studying law (Ivy League) in the United States with an F1 Visa. I want a green card, how it's ?

I'm in an ivy league and I should pass my bar in New York.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Apr 30, 2022

Your future employer can sponsor you for a green card. Engage an attorney to represent you once you get a job offer. He/she can handle all steps from A to Z.

0 Answers | Asked in International Law for Hawaii on
Q: Does this HI Rev Stat § 286-102 (2021) apply to Non American citizens (Australian). DOT invalidated my Australian DL

The supervisor at the DOT invalidated my Australian Driver license. I am qualified to drive a heavy vehicle over 6 tonnes, a motorcycle, a recreational speed boat and standard transmission automobile.

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Immigration Law and International Law on
Q: I'm 17 years old and i have a citizenship in the UK and i wanted to know if i will be able to bring my mum with me after

A few months as i don't want to let her alone and when my dad asked a lawyer about things he asked only for himself so what are the steps that will allow me to bring here with me if i have a citizenship ?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Identity Theft and International Law on
Q: Is this a form really exist or scam AMLCT (Anti Money laundry) clrnce in order to receive the money due court referral

I live in New Zealand, the Polska trybunal sprawiedliwosci ( Poland international court) issued restitution agreement, in order for me t recive the money I have been asked to from the court to get AMLCT (Anti Money laundry & Counter Terrorism Clearance) form. This money was scammed by a crytpto... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and International Law for Arizona on
Q: A Chinese Company reached out to me to recover money from past due accounts.

Sounds like an illegal scheme to me.

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Apr 22, 2022

It could be!

I have received several offers of employment that included collecting and redistributing money, and every one of them was a dud. The usual ploy is that they send you a bogus cashier's cheque by courier, as you to clear the check (through your trust account, of course),...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Health Care Law and International Law for California on
Q: is it legal for a tour company to not allow someone's task trained service animal to accompany them on the tour?

I'm traveling to a different country amd require my animal to monitor my heart rate among other specific tasks, and was told I would not be allowed to bring her.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 6, 2022

A California attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. There are animal law attorneys here who would have the strongest insight into legal issues with service animals, and you could reach out to them at this point. However, from an international law/health care law... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets and International Law for Ohio on
Q: I need to pay court fines in Sydney Australia. I’m in the states. I’ve been told pay through Bitcoin

I’ve been told the court only excepts payment through Bitcoin. I find that hard to believe. Is this a scam? My friend hit a parked car but didn’t stop. There was no injuries. He is under house arrest now. I’m not comfortable paying that way

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Apr 11, 2022

While you should ask a lawyer in Australia, technically, this seems like it is almost certainly a scam.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law on
Q: Will I be permitted entry into the USA for recreational travel?

I am a Canadian citizen, with an expired 10 year green card which I had from childhood.

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on Mar 28, 2022

You may be asked by the Border Patrol officer to address whether you have abandoned your residency in the US and/or wish to formally do so but regardless of that as long as you are able to convince the border patrol officer that you are entering the US for recreational purposes and intend to return... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and International Law for New York on
Q: What are the Legal Disadvantages of a CareTaker in a Will

If some one from my Friends or Extended Family is asking me, that they would like to write my name in there will as a Care Taker. If I say OK. What will be legal disadvantages in worst conditions for a Care Taker. If They are in Debts or can't pay the Hospital Bills in Future. Do I have to pay... Read more »

Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz answered on Mar 1, 2022

I am not sure what you have been asked to do. A Will is a document that states a person's wishes following their death. You would not be a caretaker of someone who has passed away. It is possible that you are being asked to be an agent under a Health Care Proxy, which is sometimes combined... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and International Law on
Q: For an international contract, do we analyze contract divisibility under the CISG or under national laws?
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Feb 16, 2022

You have provided inadequate information, but such a contract should have the choice of law (either country or other), venue for dispute resolution, and type of dispute resolution (arbitration, and by whose rules, and location).

Consult international counsel in your country before drafting,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and International Law on
Q: hey can i trade mark the name Purity as an artist i saw it was expired

i am an artist from israel and i came with the stage name purity can officialy trade mark it for myself?

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Feb 14, 2022

Do you mean in the US or in Israel or both.

I think a consultation with an intellectual property lawyer is your best bet.


1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Family Law and International Law for Kansas on
Q: I married a British woman while she was living in the US. We got pregnant and decided to have the child in England since

It was free. Since then we have split. While visiting she refused to allow my child to go to the embassy to get a USA social security number. She refuses to come back to the US for a divorce because she doesn’t want to go through a custody hearing. What can I do to get joint custody and get... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Feb 10, 2022

You can probably sue her in the U. K.

Filing suit here would require you to have personal service of process on the spouse, which is not impossible, but tricky.

BTW, the child probably is a dual citizen, and that is a prileged status. He should not only a British but also an...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and International Law for New York on
Q: Who may have authority over the children?

If a United States Citizen gets married to a British citizen. Both now live in England, having now two children. A divorce is in the question, who has authority over the children?

Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Feb 10, 2022

This is a question for an English attorney as the parties and children reside in England and English law would apply.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in International Law, Sexual Harassment and Libel & Slander on
Q: What can I do about harassment from an international person that is threatening to release sensitive information?

They live in Tennessee, I am a resident of Ontario. Over multiple social media platforms they have threatened me by releasing sensitive information, consisting of non-explicit videos of myself posted without my consent. I dated this person, which is why they have these videos.

I have... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Feb 10, 2022

Your question is quite interesting, but the only international aspect of it is the possibility of a crime across national borders.

If you analyze it this way, the injury occurred in Canada, so it should be reported to law enforce straightaway, be it the local police, the provincial police...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.