Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alaska Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Insurance Defense, Criminal Law, Business Formation and Civil Rights for Alaska on
Q: can I see my insurance company for the roadside services neglect humiliation degradation and pasta work enviro.laughing

Can I sue for hostile work environment and civil rights being taking humiliated and degraded in front of the company 3 workers who think it's ok to treat someone in a emergency like that

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Alaska on
Q: If I have evidence, directly from the mouth of the defendant, that supports their guilt in a rape case and murder, can I

File a motion to intervene to help the victim gain justice if the prosecuting attorney refuses to hear the evidence to place it in front of the judge in a criminal case?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Traffic Tickets for Alaska on
Q: What is the penalty for violating AS 28.10.171 Is it a jailable offense or a minor infraction

No front license plate in the municipality of Anchorage. The statute is unclear as to what type of violation it is and the penalty section AS28.10.090 has 4 subsections that indicates its either a misdemeanor in subsection a. Or it's a minor infraction in subsection c.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Alaska on
Q: If you move out of your apt after receiving a Notice to Vacate, do you have to pay rent until the end of the lease?

We understood that a Notice to Vacate was an eviction action, so left immediately as the Notice asked. Doesn't a Notice to Vacate mean that the manager is asking you to leave and they are breaching the lease agreement? The manager says that because we went ahead and gave her the registration... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Communications Law for Alaska on
Q: Can I record a conversation with someone over the phone?

I live in alaska and the other person lives in Oregon. Can I do this without them knowing about it or do I need to tell them.

0 Answers | Asked in Juvenile Law for Alaska on
Q: How do I get out of state paternity matters accomplished?

I'm trying to find paternity results.

In Juneau or Anchorage, Alaska.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Alaska on
Q: Can the police dept. obtain a polygraph test on someone before a case is even filed?

I thought polygraphs are only done once a case is opened and/or for trial purposes only? A friend tells me the police dept. performed a polygraph test on my brother, for reasons I’d rather not discuss, & he “failed,” so now she says she gets to move forward and press charges against him.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Alaska on
Q: I'm in a divorce with no underage children. I have a question about emotional abuse and mediation:

1. I'm told that the court is only interested in dividing assets. Would the emotional abuse that prompted my filing for divorce likely have any bearing on the outcome?

2. My husband has made it clear that he wants to part with as little of our assets and funds as he can. He has no... Read more »

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Sep 8, 2021

1. The reason for the divorce is generally not relevant to property division.

2&3. In Alaska, mediation is always voluntary. The court will order mediation if the parties both agree it would be useful, but would probably not do so if one party tells the court that emotional abuse...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Alaska on
Q: Even if I didn’t sign all my rights
0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law for Alaska on
Q: A worker at a Chevron gas station threatened me with a weapon after letting himself into the Woman’s bathroom

He was screaming obscenities at me because he told me I only had 3minutes but I took 5. When I finally got out of there I noticed he had to unlock the front door to let me out... can I do anything about this? I wrote a complaint but no one ever answered me and he still works there

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Alaska on
Q: Can I take my child back from a guardian before court date. I’m trying to move
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Aug 24, 2021

The short answer is no. You are not allowed to take back custody without court permission. However, depending on the facts and the terms of the guardianship order, there may be a way to take the child with you, as long as the court hearing is coming up in the near future. You should have an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation and Health Care Law for Alaska on
Q: Can I sue for improver covid isolation and obligated to return to work being covid positive? I'm not feelin well.

I work for a cannery in Alaska 16hrs shifts, they provide food and room. They hire us from out of state. I tested positive last month and this month again due to a roommate having covid. I have chest pain and can't return to work and I still have covid. tested positive three days ago. I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 29, 2021

This is something that an experienced workers' comp attorney should advise on, but your question remains open for two weeks. COVID has introduced new issues in the workers' comp sector, so it would be best for you to reach to an experienced attorney. Many law firms in this field offer... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Alaska on
Q: Who to contact regarding Alaska OCS repeatedly failing to appear for court for hearing to determine return of children?

The assigned attorney fails to give briefings before the hearings and fails to offer any advice. She is pretty much just a County paid paper pusher.

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Jul 21, 2021

When you or your attorney calls OCS, you can generally ask for the immediate supervisor of the assigned worker. If that doesn't work, you can usually get the next person up. Keep going as far as you can. If necessary, try the Juneau main office. In some cases, the state Ombudsman can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for Alaska on
Q: Can my boyfriend and father of my child kick me out of my home if he owns the house
Phyllis Shepherd
Phyllis Shepherd answered on Jul 17, 2021

If your boyfriend has a domestic violence order against you, the court may grant him temporary custody of the minor . child and the court may order you to leave the home. Without a domestic violence protective order, If your boyfriend owns the home and if you were a tenant in his home and you did... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Alaska on
Q: My mom died she had a will, left the house and property to my daughter, I've lived in that house for 18 yrs my daughter

My daughter hasn't filled out for probate yet and she is trying to kick me out or make me pay rent. Does she have the right that?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jul 6, 2021

If the Will has not been filed for Probate, then it has no effect. The real property will be owned by the Mother's Heirs At Law as Tenants In Common. At this juncture, it appears you have lawful possession as one of the owners.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Alaska on
Q: Will my child’s birth father be granted shared custody?

My child’s birth father left state when our child was 1. She’s turning 6 this year. He has had a few FaceTime calls , does not pay child support, and can go months without contact to now over two years before out of the blue asking how she is and not contacting for weeks again. We do not have a... Read more »

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Jun 3, 2021

In a custody case, nothing is certain. However, it is quite hard to get full legal and physical custody with no visitation unless the other parent has a criminal sexual abuse conviction or has a history of domestic violence, etc. Even then visitation would often be allowed, but supervised. A... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Alaska on
Q: Can I file a copyright for already published artwork (cartoons specifically)?

My husband is an illustrator (mainly cartoons). He draws a couple new ones every week, which are released at the same time. Is it possible to file a copyright for all of his already published works? They are all of the same character, from the same line.

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on May 24, 2021

It can be a tricky question.

In essence you can register a collection of non published creations.

If it is already published, then it has to be individually.

It may depend on the context.

You should consult with an attorney and explore your options.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Alaska on
Q: My son's soon to be ex wife will not allow him to see or talk to his children.

He is working on starting divorce proceedings but has not seen his children since his soon to be ex-wife kicked him out of their home three weeks ago in the middle of the night. Their children went to bed and dad lived in the home, the next morning dad did not. Up until this happened he was... Read more »

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on May 18, 2021

First try to use persuasion. Let the wife know that divorce paperwork will be filed very soon. Let her know the court will be looking at each parent's behavior, and her denying contact with the children might reflect very poorly on her. Encourage her to talk to an attorney, who will... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.