Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Arbitration / Mediation Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Puerto Rico Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for Puerto Rico on
Q: How can I identify if my mother's rights were violated in a property purchase contract? She's an elderly woman.

To whom it may concern,

Seeking urgent help regarding a potential violation of my mother's rights in a lease agreement. She co-owns a property in Puerto Rico and signed an exclusive lease with a tenant. Unauthorized alterations were made by the tenant, including demolishing the kitchen... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 23, 2023

Certainly, Mr. Pérez. In general, a tenant cannot make significant alterations to a property without the landlord's permission, especially if it affects the property's value or usability. If your mother's lease agreement specifies that alterations or improvements require her consent... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Probate for Puerto Rico on
Q: If childfren of deceased sibling refuse to sign house in PR to sibling willing to buy can somehing be done?

We are 13 siblings & my sister passed. her children for no reason wont provide death and birth certificate. What can be done as i dont have all info about her death(died in PA) & original is needed for pr court to complete doc for new heirs being her children.

Also, if 10 siblings... View More

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
answered on Oct 7, 2021

To whom did the house in Puerto Rico belong? If the house is part of your parents' estate, the answer to both questions is the same. Under the Puerto Rico Civil Code, no co-owner of an estate community can be forced to remain in said community. If a unanimous consent of heirs cannot be reached... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: If a municipal judge decides to send you and the other person to arbitration, are you obligated to go?
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
answered on Feb 15, 2020

Hello and thank you for using Justia. If the Honorable Judge issued a Court Order then yes you must comply but you are not obligated to mediate. You are only obligated to show up at the appointment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.