Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Puerto Rico Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Buenas tardes, necesito saber quien puede hacer un plano de mensura y cual es el costo promedio de esta diligence en PR.

Good afternoon, I would like information on who to contract an engineer to do a land Survey in PR.

Rafael Pagan
Rafael Pagan answered on Sep 22, 2021

Buenas tardes. Mi oficina utiliza los servicios del ingeniero Iván Robles Ramos cuando necesitamos planos y certificaciones de mensura. Su teléfono es el (787) 860-6865.

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning for Puerto Rico on
Q: My father in law who lived in Puerto Rico passed away. He had a condo, and my wife’s family has a weird decision coming.

They are being told that they if they want to inherit the condo that there is a law saying they would have to take over the debt that’s owed in it, or if it’s paid off they could divide what it is worth, but no one will tell them if he owes or if it was paid off. Is there a legal reason for this?

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: I bought some land in Penulas and there are 2 houses that were built illegally on the property prior to my purchase.

After the purchase, the property lines revealed that these homes were in fact on my property. What can I do to remove them, what rights do I have, and what are their rights?

Rafael Pagan
Rafael Pagan answered on Sep 14, 2021

The rule of law in Puerto Rico grants you a full year after your purchase of the real estate property, to request the courts to evict the people who have invaded your property. Also, the seller may be responsible for clearing the property out before the sale. You may need to bring him/her/they into... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: My sister passed away in Puerto Rico. I want to assume custody of my youngest nephew. His Dad has is not part of his lif

How can I get custody and how long does it take? My wife and I can take great care of him but we need to get back to FL in aprox 10 days.

Rafael Pagan
Rafael Pagan answered on Sep 22, 2021

Good afternoon. As a general rule, Puerto Rico courts procure that guardians of orphaned minors reside within the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; unless no other alternative guardians are available to care for the minor. A custody case requires that close kin be present at the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning for Puerto Rico on
Q: My grandfather is sick and he has told me he want to put his house under his grandchildren name? What do we do?

He lives in PR and we live in NY. He told me he wants to give us his home when he passes. How do we go about doing so? He sick right now. Do he have to do a will? Do we call an attorney? What are our steps to be able to do so?

Thank you

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Puerto Rico on
Q: My parents are residents of PR. My father passed away recently and their bank accounts are frozen.

My Mom went to the courts and filed all proper paperwork and received all the documents needed for the bank to release the accounts. They told her they wouldn't be able to release them for two months! Why would they keep these accounts frozen for two months? She already provided proof of heirs... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Puerto Rico on
Q: In Puerto Rico, who is responsible for painting the interior of the rental property? Landlord or tenant?

Three years renting house in Puerto Rico. First year, there was a lease. Three months before expiration I informed landlord that I would be renewing the lease for another year per lease agreement. Have not signed a new lease, continued to inform three months before lease anniversary that I would... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Tax Law and Probate for Puerto Rico on
Q: mom died in PR now my brother is ordering me to give him my inheritance portion prior to distribution w/o documentation

I am being ordered to fly from California to NY to sign documents and turn over my portion of the inheritance to him/them. I have asked for documentation repeatedly and he refuses to give me anything not even verbal information about the matter and now he is threatening to abandoned my father, not... Read more »

Rafael Pagan
Rafael Pagan answered on Sep 6, 2021

First off, blackmailing you into resigning your inheritance is illegal. If your siblings have denied you access to documentation pertaining to your mother's estate (assuming that she died in Puerto Rico), you have the right to request said documents through the Puerto Rico Courts, by way if an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Estate Planning, Family Law and Health Care Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Im currently taking care of my Grandmother 95 and her brother 91. How do I go about becoming their legal guardian in pr

To be able to deal with their insurance, bills and bank I have been asked several times if I have any documents that deemed me responsible legally for them. I'm not sure what the process is to do so and the responsibilities that come with the title of legal guardian.

Rafael Pagan
Rafael Pagan answered on Sep 2, 2021

The Puerto Rico Civil Codes has a presumption that every adult is legally capable of managing his/her own affairs. Thus, getting to be designated as a tutor before Puerto Rico courts entails legally incapacitating your grandmother and grand-uncle. Doing so must be achieved in separate cases.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Hi, I am being accused by an officer that said he saw me toss a hand gun when I was in a parking lot at a night club.

I was handcuffed and taken to an area that I was nowhere near and there he picked up a gun from the ground and said it was mine.

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos answered on Aug 31, 2021


To bring more clarity to the peculiarities of the incident, there are a lot of factors around the criminal procedure, like interviews, discovery and investigation to be able to find out the facts of your case. And what really happened.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Puerto Rico on
Q: I'm in a rental agreement for 6 months but I need to move due to a job, if I can't come to terms with my landlord;

Can I be sued for breaking said contract prior to the end of lease? The contract itself has no written penalty for a tenant breaking the lease stipulated. It only cites reasons for expulsion from the property based on certain criteria such as noise complaints, 1 day late rent payment or other... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Probate for Puerto Rico on
Q: Need help with a surrogate certificate, letters of admin., or letters of testamentary from Puerto Rico.

My father passed away in Puerto Rico in 1991. He had no will or estate. He has unclaimed property in NJ USA. How do I get like a surrogate's certificate, letters of admin., or letters of testamentary if he had no will or estate. I don't know if PR has a small state affidavit. Can you... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: My sister is trying to sell her houses in PR. She hasn't stay in the house for almost 10 years and the houses was empty.

They are asking her to paid 12 to 15K on a 80k sell. They are saying because she was out of the island and the house was empty she has to paid that amount. I'm under the impression that this too much for a 80K transaction. What is the correct sale taxes that she was to paid on the sale?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Estate Planning and Elder Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: How can I know if my father's eldest daughter claimed an inheritance left for my father, by his last sibling, in PR?

My father's eldest brother, who was unmarried with no children, passed away in 2016, leaving behind property & bank accounts. My father buried his brother and he and I began the process of Declaration of Inheritance, with a Lawyer in PR, from New York, where we live. My father paid the... Read more »

Ramon Olivencia, Esq.
Ramon Olivencia, Esq. answered on Aug 15, 2021

I don't know what happened with your dad's attorney, but that kind of situation could be easily researched. First, by making sure that the attorney is still in office, that is, if he has not passed away or perhaps migrated, as happened with a number of colleagues particularly after... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability for Puerto Rico on
Q: Can the goverment make you take unwanted medical treatment
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 5, 2021

If the question is about vaccines, no one is being "made to" take it. However, like any vaccination, travel and other activities may be restricted to those who have been vaccinated.

If you are deemed a danger to yourself or others, you can be placed in a hospital. That is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Puerto Rico on
Q: I have a court order video call visitation for my daughter(5yo) How can I modify it to physical visitations in Utuado
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos answered on Jul 21, 2021


You will have to file a modification of visitation rights and regime.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Health Care Law and Family Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Hi my name is Peter. I moved to Puerto Rico from Chicago to care for my mother who had cancer and was living by herself.

My mother is 78 years old and cannot care for herself. I pay for all the bills and expenses. My question is, is there any financial assistance available, through guardianship that I can apply for and how do I get this financial asistance in order to be able to pay the bills and all other expenses?... Read more »

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos answered on Jul 21, 2021


Your mother can request government assistance to get food, try to qualify for medical assistance through medicaid and other services for the elderly through the local ombudsman offices as well as other government agencies that help the elderly.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Puerto Rico on
Q: charges for 2 traffic tickets in rio grande puerto rico,#41363653,#41363654 on july6 2021

bypass a red light

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jul 9, 2021

I suggest that you ASK A QUESTION in Justia > Ask a Lawyer > Puerto Rico > Traffic Tickets instead of Justia > Ask a Lawyer > Florida > Traffic Tickets. Most Florida attorneys, who answer the questions here, know very little about Puerto Rican law. And again, when you ask it... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.