Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Real Estate Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for California on
Q: 1031 exchange question

Question: After I left California in 2020 I gave my house to my mom. We have a very basic rental agreement that says her rent is $1/month. It never even crossed my mind to file it because there’s no income.

I would like to put the house on the market now and if possible do a 1031... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Illinois on
Q: Is there a time frame on when a rightful owner that is not on deed can file a quit claim deed in Illinois?

My ex husband Tanzel O. Hawthorne purchasde a property 24 156th Street, Calumet City ,IL 60409 in May 2013 during our marriage. We were divorced December 4, 2013. Which was during our divorce the property is considered a hidden asset. Tanzel O. Hawthorne hid the property for years. I was selling... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for California on
Q: I put my boyfriend on the deed of my house 4 months ago, and I want to take him off now

He doesn't want to be with me and wants me to sell my house

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for North Carolina on
Q: Raleigh, NC landscape ownership question

We live in Raleigh, NC and are considering building a permanent Hardscape staircase that will evenly straddle the property line between our home and our next door neighbor’s. We are concerned about potential issues regarding ownership of this structure in the event that one party sells their... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Real Estate Law for Tennessee on
Q: My house was foreclosed on. I am now being told by text from realtor that I will be evicted. What are my rights?

Working with lender and their foreclosure lawyer for loan modification or reinstatement when it was sold. Lender bought it back at sale but since a VA loan, the Secretary of VA took it before I could get cash together to pay reinstatement. Realtor apparently works for VRM, the current contractor... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Constitutional Law for Georgia on
Q: There is construction of a new subdivision adjacent to my property. What documents am I entitled to

Am I entitled to see any/all documents regarding roads, utility lines, sidewalks, curbs, drainage, etc. as this property backs up to mine? A road is being built behind my home but the plans the city has shown me are not accurate as changes were made and the plans were not updated.

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: Private prop signs posted. Teen plays catch with baseball in my driveway & Keeps running into property 4 ball. Trespass

Family knows to keep out of property but continues by using the excuse getting a ball or dog not on leash etc. Blocks my driveway (spitefully ) after asking several times not to. Have proof. Trespass? Harassment?

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: Homeowner in Liberty County Ga. ROUNDUP was sprayed on my lawn to kill grass intentionally. Have proof. Malice? Trespass

ROUNDUP sprayed to kill grass to allow their water run off to flow into my yard. I'm lower. I have video proof

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for California on
Q: If someone passes away and they are the ones on the trust then who own the home now?
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
answered on Jun 4, 2023

Quite simply the trust and other documents must be reviewed to determine what will happen. It could be anyone. You may want to consult with an attorney concerning your situation.

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: What legal options does a real estate seller have when the buyer wants to back out 3 days before closing?

The sellers decided to back out 3 days before closing. They signed the termination paper yesterday June 2nd and we close Monday June 5th. I haven't signed it yet. There is no earnest money and we signed the real estate contract April 27th.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: I've been without full power in my mobile home because park management will not do electrical repairs and I was told it'

It's a dangerous situation and I have no hot water or cooking stove

Sandra M. Colatosti
Sandra M. Colatosti
answered on Jun 4, 2023

It depends. If you own the mobile home and there is an electrical problem in the home, you are responsible for getting it repaired. If you rent the mobile home, the owner is responsible. If the problem is outside the home, the park manager or power company would be responsible for the repair,... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New Mexico on
Q: My tenant pays by the month on Wed. she texted me she would be out by her last day, the 7th of June. Since then she has

not communicated with me. Can I evict her in 7 days if I give written notice via email if she is not out by then?

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Legal Malpractice for Mississippi on
Q: Can a tow company refuse to release your personal belongings to you with the exception of paying a fee?

Law enforcement towed my vehicle 5 days ago. On the 3rd day it was in the tow yard I tried to collect my belongings out of my vehicle and was denied doing so until I paid a $150 fee beforehand. This occurred in Pearl River County Mississippi. Can they deny me my belongings?

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: I bought a house with many undisclosed plumbing issues, no warranty last year. Is there anything we can do?

A previous homeowner had done a lot of the plumbing themself and none of it was up to code. We've since had to spend thousands redoing and repairing all the damage from multiple leaks. The whole house was inspected before purchase that said everything was up to code. Even the septic tank was... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Florida on
Q: Can we submit an ethic complaint to the bar for this matter?

Long story short, my uncle purchased a foreclosure property from a county auction. It turned out the property she purchased, there was a senior lien. Therefore, she ended up losing the house. Now the lawyer for the defendant (the LLC who got foreclosed), is claiming a surplus of funds. This LLC has... Read more »

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Jun 3, 2023

If your uncle bought property from a foreclosure sale subject to a senior lien, and didn’t pay off the senior lien causing the senior lien holder to foreclose on him, and there are surplus funds from the second foreclosure, those funds belong to your uncle now.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Ohio on
Q: Does a trailer park have to fix a broken mailbox? Right now all of our mail is being held at the post office.

The mail boxes old and the lock system is now broken so the mail carriers can not open it to deliver our mail. It has been 3 weeks! Does the owners of the park have to fix this and how long do they have?

Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
answered on Jun 3, 2023

This would depend entirely on your agreement with trailer park. Trailer parks so not fall under the landlord tenant act unless you are renting the trailer rather than just the lot.

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law on
Q: Can a POA be done in Puerto Rico for someone who lives in Australia? POA can it be done in the USA consulate

My father is selling a house that has me and sisters on the deed. a lawyer in Puerto Rico says that I need to either go to PR to sign or he will send me a document for $500 for me to sign here and send to him. Can I just go to the USA consulate here in Australia and ask them to do a power of... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.