Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Child Support legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
West Virginia Child Support Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for West Virginia on
Q: My boyfriend is required to back child support which his kids are now over 18and the medical bills

The court is requiring him to pay the bills that Medicaid has already paid. Is this legal?

Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
answered on Jan 2, 2021

Yes. Under Medicaid law, amounts for medical or funds spent on behalf of children, i.e., public assistance, will be collected. Public assistance funds and child support arrears funds collected are one of the metrics each state is measured on for future federal aid. The fact that the children are... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for West Virginia on
Q: I have children 4 children that I pay child support to in WV, I live in Ohio. Now 2 of the kids (15 &18) are both living

with me in Ohio. And the younger 2 (12 & 7) are living with ex-wife in WV. Do I have to petition the WV court to have support reduced or can that be done in OH?

R. Scott Patterson
R. Scott Patterson
answered on Jul 29, 2017

Ordinarily you would petition the court that issued both the custody and support orders, particularly since WV is close to OH. That would be the cleanest way of getting eveything done at one time. It would be unlikely that a court would modify the child support unless you had legal as well as... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.