Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Family Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida on
Q: What type of Bond does FL Statute 61.45(1)(e) refer to and how is such a bond secured?

I have this provision in my Parenting Plan to deter my ex from abducting our son. He is set to travel internationally next month but says it is not clear what type of bond the statute is describing and has offered to set up a joint bank account and put the court ordered amount in it. I told him... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Ohio on
Q: I have nephew that lives with the grandmother and my nephew visit us sometimes and he does not feel safe where he stays.

My nephews mom lost custody of all her kids so now her mother has custody of them. My nephew comes visit us sometime because he feels safe with us he says. His grandmother and her partner are alcoholics. My nephew ran away from his grandmother because he witness his little brother got hit really... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland on
Q: I recently discovered I have a son. I would like to establish a relationship and be on the birth certificate.

I recently discovered through a DNA test that I have a son. His mother was married at the time to a real jerk of a man but was afraid to get a divorce. She told me she got an abortion and we broke things off. I lived the last 14 years not knowing she went ahead with the birth. My son was born in... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Maryland on
Q: I have a child support order (never married to my child's mother) and am currently in arrears for court ordered

expenses apparently incurred 11 years ago. Is the statute of limitations to reduce the arrears to a judgment 12 years or is it 3 years like a contempt action?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Tennessee on
Q: What about modification of a temporary parenting plan?

I have an agreed order with 2-2-3 schedule while living with spouse during divorce. I want to move out and ask the court for primary custody.

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
answered on Jun 29, 2022

The procedure would be to file a motion seeking that kind of relief. But any major life change like moving needs to be done by an appropriate court order. You would be wise to hire counsel to assist in this process.

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida on
Q: Can my 12 year old daughter decide to live with me the mother rather than her grandmother the father's mother?

We went to court and he got primary custody because it was in the middle of school year he now left to work out of state and left her with his mother to live .his wife did not want for her to stay in their home. My daughter does not want to be with grandmother and the school year is about to start... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for New Mexico on
Q: can I file for abandonment and get the father removed from birth certificate

I am a single mother and my child’s father is not in his life

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for New York on
Q: Should an unwed mother file for sole custody as a preventative measure?

My friend and her boyfriend had a child (born in SC - just over a year old) and they have since broken up due to some domestic violence issues. He was arrested for possession of drugs and a weapon and is in jail waiting a trial date. My friend has moved back home to New York but has not been able... Read more »

Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
answered on Jun 29, 2022

No. The mother's better course is to do nothing. If the father petitions, then the fights begin. The mother should not start a confrontation when one is not needed.

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Family Law, Sexual Harassment and Civil Litigation for California on
Q: Can a Child and Family Services (aka CPS) referral report be used on a Civil Harassment case in a different county?

A CPS report from Santa Clara County is to be used for evidence to support a Civil Harassment Restraining Order in another county (within Northern California). The CHRO is against a non-family member in a different county. The Petitioner is the Father of a minor under the age of 12. At the bottom... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I do I get child support to stopped an giving it to someone who had guardianship but no longer dose I am paying for my.

Boys but they live with me now an I'm getting money taken every week an she is receiving it still but they have been home for 4 months

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Q: Can you get a joint annulment for fraud?

My husband hid a domestic violence misdemeanor from me. He has been violent to me. After 5 years, can I get an annulment?

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
answered on Jun 29, 2022

Nevada law does not have a time limit to annul a marriage, however three years seems to be the general consensus.

that is not to say that the annulment will not be granted if the marriage is longer than the three years, but to get the annulment you must meet the requirements which are you...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander, Family Law and Animal / Dog Law for Oregon on
Q: I need to know how to get my stolen cat returned. Unfortunately, it’s not taken as seriously as, say, a car.

She was stolen by my ex just to hurt me. She’s filed false papers claiming my cat is her “companion cat”. I have all the proof & witnesses to support the truth in this matter.

Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
answered on Jun 28, 2022

You might want to consider small claims court in light of the fact that most attorneys charge $300-$400 per hour. You cannot have an attorney in small claims court. If you obtain a judicial order for in junctive relief for the return of the cat, she would be in contempt of court if she does not... Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Kansas on
Q: my boyfriend and i lived together, he committed suicide. His siblings came into our home and removed everything?

they entered the home without permission from me. they took everything in the home all my personal stuff clothing bathing stuff etc

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Florida on
Q: ex husband lies in family case under oath multiple times(evi. Included)Can that affect a criminal case tht invol. wife?

There is a family court case involving new wife of ex husband, it is proven there are many lies under oath that the family lawyer pointed out, Can this reopen criminal case that the ex wife and him were involved in due to him having a big part to play in it including testimony and statements ? Due... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Michigan on
Q: My childrens father passed away in April. His new wife made all the burial decisions giving our children no say even

Even though my oldest children we very aware of his wish. It was later discovered that the new wife may not actually be his wife. We were unable to locate any marriage certificate on file and when we contacted the crematorium about how they verified the marriage making her next of kin. They... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Jun 28, 2022

Fortunately, a burial is reversible, whereas a cremation is not. Your oldest child could petition the probate court for an order to handle the affairs. But if it's shown that this other woman is in fact the wife, then she would have priority to make those decisions and there would then not be... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Civil Litigation for Alabama on
Q: Can a court force a man to take a paternity test if he is persistent in his claim that the child is his natural child?

My husband has been ordered to take a paternity test on our daughter by the courts because an ex of mine states the child is his. My husband and I were married when the child was born and my husband is on the birth certificate and is considered the presumed and aknowledged father. He knows there is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Immigration Law and Divorce for California on
Q: I am married to a USA Citizen while I am a Green Card applicant.My wife has left the family home in April 2022

I migrated to California from the UK in September 2019 and we lived together in her house.

We got engaged in February 2020

My wife who was a Permanent Resident in the USA was granted USA Citizenship in December 2020

We bought a second house in October 2020.

We were... Read more »

Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
answered on Jun 28, 2022

You've mixed a lot of legal issues here. Your immigration status isn't really relevant to your divorce questions. If you want a divorce, you should file for divorce. You can request spousal support and anything else you believe you are entitled to. Note that the length of the marriage... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.