Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Child Support Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Pennsylvania on
Q: How do the courts determine income for non-custodial parent who is a business owner?

Since our divorce my ex has become the owner of a very successful company and I am certain his income has increased significantly. I have not petitioned the court to increase support over the last 10 years as it would have caused major stress in a good co-parenting arrangement. My question is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Mississippi on
Q: My son's father doesn't help me at all with our son. I filed for cs in Jjne 2021 we established paternity in July and

He signed a petition of what he was ordered to pay. As of today there has been no payments made and the order has not even been filed at chancery court bc they keep saying it has to go before a judge for signature

Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin answered on Jan 20, 2022

I am going to assume that you went through DHS to establish paternity and child support. If the Order was signed by all parties in July, 2021, there is no excuse for the delay in presenting it to the Judge. You should contact the attorney handling the paternity action and make a demand that the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Libel & Slander for Nevada on
Q: Should I keep my children home from visits until case management and how should I say this in paperwork?

I have been the primary caregiver. My children have resided with me 98% of the time since birth. Father claimed one child on his taxes fraudulently and kept childs stimulus money one year and I did nothing. The second year he did it again. I asked him to be physically present more or to pay more... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Nevada on
Q: My ex-husband and I coparent/homeschool our 2 kids. I live in vegas. He has just bought & moved into a home in Pahrump.

It is 51 miles away from me. Technically. But the shortest drive there is 73miles. He's now 90 minutes away from me. He's demanding I meet him halfway in Blue Diamond which is about 45/50mins away. I am requesting that he pick up & drop our kids at my home in Las Vegas. He works in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Support and Juvenile Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can I be forced to continue financially and legally supporting my 18 year old if he's still in high school?

Long story short: He sexually abused my daughter, threatened to kill me over a misunderstanding, has been convicted (juvenile), is on probation in a sex-offender treatment facility for the last year and a half, and will turn 18 March 24th of this year. He already told me he will most likely... Read more »

Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas answered on Jan 20, 2022

If you think he will harm your daughter again if he returns, you CANNOT let him back in the home. You may need to contact Child Protective Services, and let them know the situation. Perhaps they can find a foster home for him. Financially, you and his father are still responsible for him. CPS may... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Louisiana on
Q: Does custodial parent have any financial obligations upon signing provisional custody by mandate
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Jan 20, 2022

Custody by mandate is only one year long and does not abdicate the financial responsibility to support a child.

0 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Maine on
Q: My income went to being 0. I am still paying 215 a week for child support and will soon have no more money to pay.

I have been a stay at home dad for the last 3 months or so. I can no longer afford to pay my child support.

0 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Alabama on
Q: Can an agreement made outside of court be counted towards a prior child support deduction?

It's been 8 years since my last child support case. We never went back for a review, but we did agree verbally, since the father had an increase in pay. He has another baby that will be put on Child support soon with DHR and with the calculations that child will receive more than my two on... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Massachusetts on
Q: Retroactive child support help needed

I’m a single mother, never married, of two wonderful children. For two years we lived together with their father. For the past five years we have been living on our own, the children with me over 80% of the time. Upon moving out, we had a verbal/text agreement of what he would pay each week. We... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for New York on
Q: Best way to appeal a verdict from a relocation/ custody relocation case from Judge Carney

I have 50 days to present an appeal that was filed by my previous attorney for a reversal of the verdict. I am seeking residential custody of my 7 year old. I need a good family law attorney

Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas answered on Jan 19, 2022

There is no "best way" to appeal any order from any judge in family court. The appellate standard is that the decision of a judge shall not be lightly overturned unless it lacks a sound and substantial basis in the record. This means that Carney, a Buffalo judge and former practitioner in... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Illinois on
Q: If child was born and resided in Wisconsin can family member from Illinois petition for guardianship in Illinois?

Can a grand auntie from another state petition for guardianship without petitioning within the state the child was born in. My son was born 11/20/2021 his mom was arrested 12/06/2021 CPS got involved 12/08/2021 I petition Milwaukee County Wisconsin courts for establishment of paternity 12/08/2021... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Support for Florida on
Q: In the signed divorce my ex spouse accepted all proceeds from the sale of the home instead of child support

Can she come after for support now that she has decrease her income?

Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber answered on Jan 18, 2022

Legally child support can be modified until the child turns 18. However, you should receive a credit for the exact dollar figure of your share of any proceeds that went to your ex. Speak to a local family law attorney for more specific advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Michigan on
Q: What do I do? Traveling during other parents time, I offered him to keep the child he won’t.

We travel back and forth in the winter to ski. For over a year now my ex and I have changed up our parenting time schedule. He is now saying he wants his normal weekends. For that to happen I told him there’s two options we switch weekends or he has the child while we travel. He refused and said... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 18, 2022

You have a few options: 1) can you take the child with you to ski? 2) do you have alternate child care available?

Unless you are able to reach a compromise, the parenting time schedule stands. Depending on how much time you have before your trip, you could see about filing a motion to...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Ohio on
Q: What steps can I take without legal representation, my daughters mother wants to relocate out of the state of Ohio.

I had paternity test done, I am the father. We have not been to court at all to set child support or custody etc. our daughter is 4 years old. Cincinnati Ohio area

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Jan 18, 2022

Contact your local juvenile court and ask for the form you need to file for parental rights, or check the court's web site. But the court people can't offer much help -- they can't offer legal advice. So if you don't do it correctly, you are not likely to succeed. So to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Colorado on
Q: I’m a single mother to a teenage, special needs son. I’m looking for child support and a parenting plan.

Father and I have never been married, never been to court, have zero agreement. Recently, father started paying $300 a month in child support, although I have 100% parenting time. Father can afford more but is unwilling to pay more or help with groceries or utility bills, doesn’t pay for... Read more »

John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III answered on Jan 19, 2022

You should file a court case to get these things in place. Child support can be set based on the respective incomes of the parents. A parenting plan can be established in accord with the best interest of the child. You should get a lawyer to help you with this.

0 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Texas on
Q: Hi, During a child support enforcement hearing when do you recite all the months of nonpayment?

I would like to know at what part in the hearing do you list off every violation? Is it during the introduction or during testimony?

0 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Arkansas on
Q: My husband is behind on child support. I am buying a house and loan is in my name but his name will be on the deed.

Can a lein be placed on the house since his name is on the deed even though he isn’t on the loan?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.