Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Education Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Hawaii Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for Hawaii on
Q: My child is being harassed by school counselors because he has a disability (autism) which makes him not want to do P.E.

What do I tell my child to say, in terms of legality?

What steps can I take? I already put in a request for a doctor note.

IEP is included.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 24, 2024

First, reassure your child that they have done nothing wrong and that it's important to speak up about their feelings. Encourage them to express how the harassment from the school counselors makes them feel, emphasizing that it's okay to feel upset or frustrated about the situation.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Hawaii on
Q: Is changing LRE for a SPED student a defined process or a continuum?

Does a change in placement have to have defined steps such as GENERAL EDUCATION class, then to an INCLUSION SETTING, then to RESOURCE CLASS, or is it based on the IEP team's decision on what's best for the student.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 2, 2024

In Hawaii, the process of changing the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) for a special education (SPED) student is typically viewed as a continuum rather than a rigid sequence of defined steps. While there are guidelines and best practices in place to ensure that changes in placement are made in... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.