Maine Child Support Questions & Answers

Q: I am currently going through court for child support. Just looking for advice about parental rights.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Maine on
Answered on Nov 29, 2018
Robert Guillory Esq's answer
If you are just going for child support you will have to present some information to the court as to what his income is and what your income is. they will also need to know cost of daycare if any, cost of insurance for the child/children only, and if there are any extraordinary medical expenses for the child. With all of that information the court will calculate what the child support will be. if you dont know how much he makes it would help if you at least knew what he does for work.

Q: I have a custody and child support agreement made 3 years ago in Massachusetts. Can I file for a child support increase?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Maine on
Answered on Nov 26, 2018
Robert Guillory Esq's answer
The first thing you should do is consult with an attorney in Massachusetts. i dont know Massachusetts law but in Maine people cannot agree to modify child support on their own, it must be done by court order signed by a judge. if you have a court order that says the support drops if you move to Maine then that is what it is. if the court order does not say that then he probably owes you whatever the court order said. Either way you can move to modify the court order in Maine since you have been...

Q: What are my options if I'm taken to court for back child support after 11 years

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Maine on
Answered on Jul 31, 2018
Joe Lewis' answer
Hi there.

Tough situation, of course, but there is good news and bad news for you.

The good news is that the courts will only look back over the past six years, not the full 11. The other good news is that many payments you made to her toward support of your second child (clothing, education, medical bills, etc.) can be credited as back support that was actually paid. More good news is that you won't have to pay it all at once. Finally, the court has a lot of discretion as...

Q: When filing for child support in the state of Maine does the court count the income of the spouse who is not the parent?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Maine on
Answered on Apr 3, 2018
Edward Chris L'Hommedieu's answer
Very very very rarely. In 20 years, I've never seen it apply. They would literally have to be wildly rich.

Q: What should you do when you know that your ex has lied/omitted financial information on a child support affidavit ?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Maine on
Answered on Dec 26, 2017
Joe Lewis' answer
Hi there.

The only financial information on the child support affidavit that always matters is gross income. The definition of gross income is a hotly litigated issue in a lot of child support cases. The relevant statute can be found here: (subsection 5)

Other financial information can also come into play in a child support case because Maine law allows for a deviation from guideline child support...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.