Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Construction Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Maine Construction Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for Maine on
Q: Can I issue a mechanic lien?

I sold my house and moved in with girlfriend. Over the course of 5 years, I not only purchased materials, but also provided labor to upgrade many aspects of her house. I was then forced to move out can I put a mechanic lien on home so if she sells I get my money back?

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
answered on Aug 18, 2023

Likely not. Under Maine law, any lien you had was dissolved unless you, within 90 days after ceasing to labor, furnish materials, or perform services filed a proper statement of lien claim in the office of the proper register of deeds. The 90-day period does not apply when the labor, materials, or... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Criminal Law for Maine on
Q: Does the three different good time laws in Maine violate constitutionality and or are they discriminatory!
Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 1, 2022

I do not believe these laws have ever been challenged in court. Since good time is determined by the Department of Corrections and not considered part of the sentence but an administrative determination by stature, the Court may not find a constitutional violation in the difference statutes. You... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Small Claims for Maine on
Q: Insurance claim after small claims court

I took a contractor to small claims due to faulty work. He did submit a claim with his insurance but denied responsibility. Insurance said they can't do anything until judgement. I requested judgement for the money I paid him (I didn't know I was supposed to submit damages then). I did... View More

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
answered on Mar 29, 2023

I don't see why not. Does the judgment you received indicate how much the Defendant owes you? I am not sure what you mean by you "didn't get payment for the cost of them."

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability and Construction Law for Maine on
Q: East coast carports built 30x70 metal building in maine in Oct 2019. Defective roof supports and it collapsed today

East coast car ports are located in mt airy, NC. our property is in Harrison maine. Defective roof support and they came last year to replace supports and used same exact supports to replace twisted broken supports. We do not know what to do and need advise and direction

Please help

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
answered on Feb 7, 2022

Hello, I received your voicemail. It looks like I obtained my earlier information from the incorrect website. I suggest you try to contact them at either of these numbers: 336-415-5855 OR 336-755-3409 or by using this email address:

This appears to be the...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Construction Law for Maine on
Q: What do we do when we have a breach of contract and the contractor is refusing to refund us our money?
Elliott R. Teel
Elliott R. Teel
answered on May 16, 2017

The answer may depend on if the contract says anything about how disputes are handled (there may be a mediation or arbitration clause). If it does not say anything, then depending on the amount that is in dispute, you can to either go to small claims court or to the district court to pursue them.... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.