Securities Law Questions & Answers by State

Securities Law Questions & Answers

Q: I'm searching for a NC attorney who can review a financial services consulting agreement.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Securities Law for North Carolina on
Answered on Jan 25, 2019
Timur Akpinar's answer
You could contact the North Carolina Bar Association for assistance. They have an attorney referral service.

Tim Akpinar

Q: Im having issuese with pay and placement with the security company called securitas in los angeles

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law, Securities Law and Workers' Compensation for California on
Answered on Jan 21, 2019
Ronald Mahurin's answer
Unfortunately this is not a workers comp question. I tried to find a way to flag the questions, but there were no options. You need to post in employment law. There is no remedy in workers comp. for what you have described.

Q: Would this business require a money transmitter license or be exempt?

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for California on
Answered on Jan 11, 2019
Alan Abergel's answer
You will need to retain an attorney to review your business model to determine if it is subject to FINCEN registration and regulation and/or other financial regulation. You may also be required to obtain a money transmission license from each state or country in which you conduct business and/or serve its customers. For example, California licenses and regulates its money transmitters through the Department of Business Oversight. There may be other financial (or other business industry)...

Q: I know that there are federal securities laws, but are there any that are state-specific to California that differ from

2 Answers | Asked in Securities Law for California on
Answered on Dec 11, 2018
Alan Abergel's answer
There are many California securities laws (corporations code sections and regulations) that differ from federal securities laws.

The Corporate Securities Law of 1968 regulates all offers and sales of securities in California

California Department of Business Oversight administers and enforces the Corporate Securities Law of 1968 (including...

Q: Can they file charges of harborn fugitive or aidn & abedn if they didnt see them w/ defndnt & have no evidnce

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Securities Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Dec 3, 2018
Keegan Kelley Harroz's answer
Anyone can be charged based upon circumstantial and direct evidence. You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent the accused party.

Q: My broker disappeared after I discovered fraudulent misrepresentations associated with my account. Who do I sue if I

2 Answers | Asked in Securities Law for California on
Answered on Nov 20, 2018
Steve A. Buchwalter's answer
If there is wrongdoing, the brokerage firm he was associated with would be responsible.

Q: What do securities lawyers do exactly?

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for California on
Answered on Nov 10, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
They work with matters involving stocks, bonds, and other financial instruments.

Tim Akpinar

Q: I gained a lot of money when I bought in to BitCoin last summer. I want to take it out before it crashes. Do I have to

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law and Tax Law for Florida on
Answered on Oct 29, 2018
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
Yes, the profit is oncome. Whether it's long term capital gain or not depends upon whether by "last summer" you mean the summer of 2018 or of 2017.

Q: Can you explain what a "triggering event" is? I keep seeing the term.

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for California on
Answered on Oct 20, 2018
T. J. Jesky's answer
A triggering event refers to an occurrence that, once breached or met, it causes another event to take place. Triggering events are written into contracts to prevent or ensure that if something happens the next event will happen.

For example, you want to buy a newspaper at a news stand. When you pay the vendor the price of the newspaper, the triggering event takes place, he hands the newspaper over to you.

If you don't pay your rent, the triggering event takes place, the...

Q: When does someone need to file an amended 8K? I'm a shareholder and want to know if they followed the law.

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Illinois on
Answered on Oct 5, 2018
T. J. Jesky's answer
This is a good question, and somewhat difficult to give you a solid answer. Here is why. A Company is required to file a Form 8-K when a "material event" takes place. It is management's call as to what they consider material. This is also based on the size the Company. For a small company, material event can be almost any important event. For a Fortune 500 Company, the same event may not be material based on their size. It is just another day of conducting ordinary business.


Q: I'm a little unclear on employee stock ownership

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law and Employment Law for Illinois on
Answered on Sep 14, 2018
T. J. Jesky's answer
You are correct. If some one wants to give you stock, you are under no obligation to accept it. The same is true for an inheritance. You may not want to accept a property, if it includes a huge mortgage or a number of tax liens.

There must be more to this story than your comment above. There are few reasons not to accept stock; however, if the stock comes with "a hook," feel free to reject the offer.

Q: Options were about to vest but the company went into bankruptcy, what do I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for California on
Answered on Sep 14, 2018
Steve A. Buchwalter's answer
If your options are in the money, you may want to exercise them. If a stockbroker recommended the options without warning you about the companies financial condition, you may be able to sue. You'll need to talk to an attorney.

Q: Found 2 original stock certificates in grandfather’s bank box . Co. is not publically traded. Son now runs the business.

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Louisiana on
Answered on Sep 13, 2018
D. Alex Onstott's answer
Securities law is very complex and fact specific. The easiest way to figure out the current status of the shares is to simply contact the company and ask. Without seeing the stock papers, knowing the company's position on the stock, and reviewing the current and historical operating agreements, it is impossible to know exactly whether or not the company must honor them. However, if the value of the shares is potentially substantial, you should contact an experienced securities lawyer to...

Q: We'd like to issue shares in our company - do all the officers need to sign off?

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for California on
Answered on Sep 12, 2018
T. J. Jesky's answer
When a Company issues shares, the "corporate formally" to do so, is a Board Resolution. In other words, it is the Board of Directors through a Board Resolution that authorizes the issuance of shares from the Corporate Treasury. It is not the officers but the Board of Directors who have this power. Generally, shares are issued because: 1) someone provided services to the Company; 2) someone signed a subscription agreement and wants to purchase shares in the Company, the funds to the...

Q: How do I donate stock to a charity?

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Illinois on
Answered on Sep 4, 2018
T. J. Jesky's answer
Before you donate any stock to a charity, you should check with the charity first to determine if they will accept the stock.

Once you determine, the charity will accept the stock, you need to transfer the stock into their name.

The transfer depends if you have the stock in certificate form, or if the stock is deposited with broker.

Certificate form:

On the back of the stock certificate, indicate the name of charity you plan to transfer the stock, on the back...

Q: Why does a suit that was filed in state court go to Federal court? On a slip and fall, if your witness is the asst

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Securities Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Aug 26, 2018
Jedidiah "Jed" McKeehan's answer
If you have sued for over $75,000.00, and the entity you have sued has a home office location in another state, that combination of factors is the most likely reason that the case was removed to federal court.

Q: I was recently adjudicated as guilty after pleading nolo contendre in a Topeka Kansas District court case involving

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Securities Law for Maryland on
Answered on Jul 31, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
You need to have an experienced federal criminal defense attorney admitted to practice before the US Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit. The attorney will do all the legal research. Most criminal defense counsel who practice in the federal courts will either handle appeals or will know others to refer you to.

Q: What's the very first thing I should do if I have believe I have a securities claim?

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for California on
Answered on Jul 17, 2018
Steve A. Buchwalter's answer
Gather all your documents and put them is a safe place. Call an attorney to go over your case. Any attorney you talk to may ask you to write up a narrative (your story) as to what happened. It may be a good idea to start on that.

Q: Hello I have a negative balance due to a margin call with an offshore stockbroker, am I liable for the negative balance?

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, International Law and Securities Law on
Answered on Jul 5, 2018
Camille Brooks Ibrahim's answer
Depending on the specific account guidelines and contractually binding terms will determine if a breach of contract is pursuable. If it was not contractually then you should be ok

Q: At a restaurant where there was an altercation between a group of friends and security guard giving a parking ticket

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law and Criminal Law for Illinois on
Answered on Jun 18, 2018
Juan Ooink's answer
Your friend needs to sit down with a Civil Attorney to find out if there is something here and they should do so right away.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.