Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Energy, Oil and Gas legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Virginia Energy, Oil and Gas Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Virginia on
Q: Utilities in my name, person at house not paying the bill.

I moved. My cousin staying in the home. Kept electric and water in my name. She supposed to pay it. She hasn't been paying the bills.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Mar 23, 2024

A Virginia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a month. It could depend on the terms of any agreements you made, hopefully in writing, for payment of utilities bills to maintain service. Good luck

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Energy, Oil and Gas and Small Claims for Virginia on
Q: MonPower refuses to start my service because the last landowner had a back bill. I even sent them a copy of my lease

Is it legal to deny me electricity for a stranger's debt?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jul 15, 2019

The amount of money involved is way too small to be of interest to most lawyers. FYI, the law is not designed to solve every little problem that comes your way during this lifetime; the Latin phrase for this rule is "De minimus non curat lex."

Pay the balance and then sue the...
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.