Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Elder Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
West Virginia Elder Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for West Virginia on
Q: What happens to funds from an inheritance check, made out to the principal of a POA, that was deposited into POA account

As my grandmother’s POA, If I opened a savings account, solely in my name,

(to be used for her medical expenses/personal care items)

& deposited an inheritance check made out in my grandmother’s name; what happens to the funds remaining in account after she passes?

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 19, 2024

I would caution you against depositing a check made payable to your grandmother into an account that is in your name. That will look very much like theft or conversion. And that is the case even if you really only do use the money for your grandmother’s benefit. It is very risky for you.... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Elder Law and Health Care Law for West Virginia on
Q: Can I ask for proof of documents of someones role of being appointed power of attorney?

How should someone go about asking for this or even a living will?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 1, 2022

A West Virginia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. As a general practice nationwide, in most instances it's simply a matter of asking to see them. I have not had experience with them in settings involving living wills, but in general litigation, I ask... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Estate Planning for West Virginia on
Q: How do I protect my assets from Elder care professionals?

I want to get information about estate planning.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 5, 2019

Your best bet is to call an elder law attorney in your area and tell him or her that you are interested in pursuing Medicaid pre-planning.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.