Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Ohio Divorce Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Ohio on
Q: Due to the pandemic my ex hasn’t paid child support for 5 months because he was laid off. Does he still owe it to me?

He said he doesn’t owe it to me because while we were separated and the divorce was not finalized he was giving me support money out of the kindness of his heart. So we should be equal or I should pay him back for doing that. Is that true?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Nov 18, 2020

Money given directly typically does not count toward the child support obligation, but is considered a gift. But it depends on the temporary support order in effect during the divorce, and what the court ordered for support when the divorce was finalized, and how it required him to pay , either... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Ohio on
Q: Do I have to have a witness for uncontested divorce to be granted in Ohio?

I'm getting divorced end of the week and my witness has COVID and can't attend. It is an uncontested divorce since we agree on everything and we will both be there. Do I have to have a witness to be granted the divorce if the defendant is present and in agreement?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Oct 27, 2020

If both spouses are present, and both testify to the grounds for divorce and advise the court they want to terminate the marriage, then no other witness should be required, and the court should grant it, although it depends on your local court and ultimately the judge decides. But if the defendant... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Ohio on
Q: how long does a devorce usually take if the only issue is visitation of a child and the average cost
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Sep 8, 2020

The court filing fee is about $300 to 400. If an investigation is required to determine parenting issues, then several hundred more. Legal fees for an attorney could be from a thousand, to many thousand, depending on what happens. The process takes at least a few months, and can take up to a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Ohio on
Q: I want an abatement of my divorce court proceedings until covid19 pandemic is over. Is this possible in Ohio?
Cathy Cook Esq
Cathy Cook Esq
answered on May 12, 2020

Since COVID-19 is not going to be “over” for a year or more, and the courts will find ways to move cases forward, that is unlikely. The only way to stop a divorce generally is for both parties to agree to dismiss the case.

If your property values have been affected, you may have to...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.